wasting whole night time fixing up the PSU

kenny1999

I was installing a DVD drive but it went into problems, I was testing, plugging and unplugging the power cables and the SATA cables whole night

Sometimes it powers but sometimes it doesn't. The weird thing was sometimes as I pressed the power button, the hard drives were heard running / spinning up while the MOBO and chassis fan did not spin up at all.

At last I decided to unplug everything and suddenly realized that the big power cord to the MOBO was LOOSE.
That should explain why the MOBO and chassis fan did not start to spin on start-up.

While SATA cable to hard drive is very tightened. I really do not understand why the more important power (to the MOBO) could be that loose. (i.e. so easy to unplug it

spirit

Staff member
It's very easy to knock the 24-pin power cable when you work on the PC. Some people have trouble plugging them in in the first place, so when you built the PC you may not have plugged it in tightly enough. It can sometimes come loose if it's not plugged in properly if you knock the PC.

kenny1999

It's very easy to knock the 24-pin power cable when you work on the PC. Some people have trouble plugging them in in the first place, so when you built the PC you may not have plugged it in tightly enough. It can sometimes come loose if it's not plugged in properly if you knock the PC.

I suspect that it's possible the whole PC still works when the 24pin power cable is loose (sometimes)

Could it make any damgae to the MOBO or other delicate hardware?

spirit

Staff member
I suspect that it's possible the whole PC still works when the 24pin power cable is loose (sometimes)

Could it make any damgae to the MOBO or other delicate hardware?
Yes it is possible for it to still work if it's plugged in far enough and no it likely didn't break anything. Unless you force it in or out in which case you may risk cracking something but usually it's fine.