Water block for EVGA 9800GTX+ ?

ndavidson18

I'm thinking about switching over from fan cooling to liquid cooling and was wondering if anyone knew of a water block that was compatible with the EVGA 9800 GTX+ video card and any respectable sites to buy from? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

jarlmaster47

thats true. I didn't think about that. Well if he doesn't want to change than fine the watercoolers we chose for him are good.

ndavidson18

Thanks to both of you! I really would like to buy a newer graphics card, but am not sure which one would give me the most bang for my buck. I'd like to stay under $200 and would probably keep the one I have now and use it as Physx accelerator. The main reason for wanting liquid cooling is just so that i could get my system a little quieter and make it visually more appealing.

jarlmaster47

well in that case get a 5770!! Its about 170 bucks give or take on newegg. It gives you directx11 and is one of the best cards on the market as far as price

ndavidson18

I just looked at one of those cards, they seem pretty nice. it seems like it would be quite an upgrade to the one I have now. I guess since i can't connect the two together anyway, there would be no issue in compatibility as far as having two different brand of cards? I've never done SLI or CrossFire so i'm not sure?

ndavidson18

Do you see any difference between this one and the other one, other than price?

XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 PCIE Graphics Card HD577AZNFC

Last edited:

ganzey

banned
some people prefer xfx over powercolor, but they are still a good brand, and the XFX can display 3 monitors, the power color can only do 2 monitors

FATALiiTYz

I would probably grab a 1gb version. The one ganzey posted isn't bad bud I wouldnt trust the rebates. If you're running on 1 19" monitor or so, then 512mb will be fine, but if you're running a 22"+ then it will choke on the resolution.

Aastii

VIP Member
agreed with the 1GB suggestion. If you aren't going to be using 3 monitors, I would go with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121363

the Asus 5000 series cards are outstanding to say the least and very high quality. Either this or XFX, but with XFX remember you are paying for the 3 monitor support, which if you don't plan on using 3 monitors, is useless, but, because you have your 9800GTX+ in there too (which to jarlmaster, is a GTS250, so not outdated at all) you will be able to run up to 4 monitors, just not utilisise eyefininty.

Also, something which hasn't come up, can your power supply handle 2 video cards? What PSU do you have? If it isn't up to the task of powering 2 fairly power hungry cards, you will have to forget about gettings another card before you can get yourself a new power supply.

What you asked about running nvidia and ATi simultaiously, they won't run with each other like they would in SLI or crossfire, but they will run fine independantly. Your nvidia card will be able to be used for physx and the 5770, or whatever other card you choose, will be able to be used to display

jarlmaster47

you have to used hacked drivers if you want to run an nvidia and ati card together. the asus 1gb version of the 5770 is WAYY better than the 512mb version

just a noob

you have to used hacked drivers if you want to run an nvidia and ati card together. the asus 1gb version of the 5770 is WAYY better than the 512mb version

Why? Because 1024 is double that of 512? :rolleyes: lets say you're gaming on a 17 inch screen with a 1gb card, you aren't going to see any difference, but if you're playing on a 24 inch screen, then you'll notice a difference

ndavidson18

Thank Aastii, that was really helpful. in your opinion what is the difference between that card and this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490&cm_re=5770-_-14-127-490-_-Product

For the power supply I have the Antec 850 Watt power supply, so because it has 3 red PCi-e connections it would be just fine I would think. My 9800GTX+ takes up 2 and this one would take the other one.

agreed with the 1GB suggestion. If you aren't going to be using 3 monitors, I would go with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121363

the Asus 5000 series cards are outstanding to say the least and very high quality. Either this or XFX, but with XFX remember you are paying for the 3 monitor support, which if you don't plan on using 3 monitors, is useless, but, because you have your 9800GTX+ in there too (which to jarlmaster, is a GTS250, so not outdated at all) you will be able to run up to 4 monitors, just not utilisise eyefininty.

Also, something which hasn't come up, can your power supply handle 2 video cards? What PSU do you have? If it isn't up to the task of powering 2 fairly power hungry cards, you will have to forget about gettings another card before you can get yourself a new power supply.

What you asked about running nvidia and ATi simultaiously, they won't run with each other like they would in SLI or crossfire, but they will run fine independantly. Your nvidia card will be able to be used for physx and the 5770, or whatever other card you choose, will be able to be used to display

ndavidson18

That's interesting, I didn't know that. Do you know of a site where I could get the driver that you're talking about? I agree, I wont be getting anything other than the 1gb versions of this card. Right now i'm leaning towards this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...127490&cm_re=5770-_-14-127-490-_-Product#spec