Water Cooling Question

Netskimmer

Will the kit I have now cool the CPU alone well enough?
Will the air cooler I picked out earlier in the thread cool my VGA card well?

The_Beast

Will the kit I have now cool the CPU alone well enough?
Will the air cooler I picked out earlier in the thread cool my VGA card well?

I don't know what CPU you have but it should be enought

It should cool down your card

Last edited:

Netskimmer

I don't know what CPU you have but it should be enought

I will be a Q6600 G0 (if the damn thing ever gets here):mad:

It should cool down your card

I just noticed in an earlier post that you are under the impression that I am trying to cool an 8800GTX. I'm actually trying to cool a factory OCed 8800 Ultra. Will the air cool I picked out effectively cool that card? I probably won't try to push the factor OC any farther.

The_Beast

I will be a Q6600 G0 (if the damn thing ever gets here):mad:

I just noticed in an earlier post that you are under the impression that I am trying to cool an 8800GTX. I'm actually trying to cool a factory OCed 8800 Ultra. Will the air cool I picked out effectively cool that card? I probably won't try to push the factor OC any farther.

I really conldn't give you a yes no answer for those questions

A single rad might be able to cool a quad core, maybe not

I really don't know about that air cooler and an Ultra

Netskimmer

Well, I guess the only way to get a definitive answer to these questions is to just dive in and see what happens. I'll run the whole thing on stock cooling until I'm satisfied it's stable, then I'll install the WC for the CPU and see how it runs. If it seems ok and I don't think the VGA stock cooling is going to cut it, I'll get a VGA block and add it to the WC system. If the current setup can't keep everything cool I'll get another rad and if my current pump can't handle both rads then I'll get a better pump.

Netskimmer

I have decided, for various reasons that I'm going to give up in my current WC system and start fresh. I just don't think there is enough room in my case to easily install an internal kit and the case comes with ports for an external one so I thought I might try that. Does anyone know of a good external WC that will keep an OC'ed Q6600 and G8800 Ultra cool?

I've heard it said that a good air cooling system can match the performance of a WC system, is this true. I have particularly high ambient room temps which is why I decided on WC in the first place.

The_Beast

I have decided, for various reasons that I'm going to give up in my current WC system and start fresh. I just don't think there is enough room in my case to easily install an internal kit and the case comes with ports for an external one so I thought I might try that. Does anyone know of a good external WC that will keep an OC'ed Q6600 and G8800 Ultra cool?

I've heard it said that a good air cooling system can match the performance of a WC system, is this true. I have particularly high ambient room temps which is why I decided on WC in the first place.

On extreme systems (forum a guy sells WaterKegs(totaly custom) for a pretty cheap price

Air is good for stock but if OC a lot then water cooling kills air

Netskimmer

I went to the WaterKegs website but I don't see any prices. How much does he charge?

What do you think of the Koolance Exos-2 (EX2-750BK) Would it do the job?
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...ling_Kit_-_Black_EX2-750BK.html?tl=g30c83s138

Is there any reason I could not get a fresh water aquarium pump for my system?
I found this after talking to my boss about his fish tank, could it cool a wc system as effectively as a fan/rad setup?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...cm_mmc=PPC-_-Google-_-Fish-_-aquarium chiller

Netskimmer

what is the difference from an external fresh water aquarium pump and a WC pump? There is no way that one of those larger rads will fit in my case, can/should they be mounted externally? If so, will they come with the hardware to do so because the rad I have didn't.

The_Beast

what is the difference from an external fresh water aquarium pump and a WC pump? There is no way that one of those larger rads will fit in my case, can/should they be mounted externally? If so, will they come with the hardware to do so because the rad I have didn't.

I don't know the difference between those pumps, mounting it externally is fine, there are kit to help with mounting it externally

Netskimmer

Ok, how about this?

EK-FC8800GTX Full Cover Waterblock for nVidia 8800 GTX
(nickel plated was out of stock)
$110

2x 120mm Scythe SY1225SL12M "Slip Stream" Case Fan (68.54 CFM, 24 dBA)
$18

Swiftech MCR-320 "Quiet Power" Series Radiator - Black
$55

Laing D5 Basic/Swiftech MCP655-B Inline 12V DC Pump
$75

Copper TDX Block for Intel 775 Processors
Already have

Danger Den Bay Reservoir High-Density Polyethylene
Already have

I already have clamps,tubing, ect. Will this setup cool my system

The_Beast

Ok, how about this?

EK-FC8800GTX Full Cover Waterblock for nVidia 8800 GTX
(nickel plated was out of stock)
$110

2x 120mm Scythe SY1225SL12M "Slip Stream" Case Fan (68.54 CFM, 24 dBA)
$18

Swiftech MCR-320 "Quiet Power" Series Radiator - Black
$55

Laing D5 Basic/Swiftech MCP655-B Inline 12V DC Pump
$75

Copper TDX Block for Intel 775 Processors
Already have

Danger Den Bay Reservoir High-Density Polyethylene
Already have

I already have clamps,tubing, ect. Will this setup cool my system

looks great :)

Netskimmer

Kind of a long post but here goes...

My liq cooling parts came today, hooray. Just one problem, the rad is too big to fit on the back of my case. :( If I line the screw holes in the back of my case up with the rad my power plug gets in the way, and as I've said before there is no way it's going to fit inside my case.

I'm thinking of mounting it on the side of the case but I'm not sure what materials I will need. I don't want to drill holes into the side of the case if I can avoid it and I obviously don't want to just "glue" the rad to the side of the case for several reasons. I thought it would be better to get some kind of standoffs. Something that I could permanently attach to the side of the case and then attach the rad too so the rad could be removed if needed. This would also be good because they would act as spacers so that the rad wouldn't be pressed up against the case which would improve air-flow through the rad.

I looked at frozen CPU and Xoxide but didn't see anything that would work, they did have an external rad from Swiftech that looked like it had feet but it didn't look like you could buy them separate and Swiftech didn't have anything like that on their site. They had "rad boxes" but they look like they are designed for smaller rads and I don't know if just one could support my rad, I suppose I could by two of them but that would be kind of pricey and I'd still need a way of mounting it to the side of the case as the power cord would still be in the way for a rear mount. I thought about a top mount but the contours of my case would make that difficult and it has top-mounted exhaust fans which would probably blow hot air onto the rad.

Should I just visit my local hardware stores in hopes of finding suitable parts or are there such parts designed for this sort of thing? Would it be possible/advisable to use adhesive instead of drilling holes? If so what kind? Am I even going in the right direction or is there another option I haven't thought of?

On another note, I have seen "socket spacers" that allow CPU water blocks to fit properly onto the CPU but not all mobos need one. How can I tell if I do?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I'm new to this and I'm really nervous about making a mistake and killing my shiny new system. I'm just hoping to get as many of the angles locked down as I can before I proceed and I REALLY appreciate all your time and efforts to help me.:D