Water Proofing a camera

Aastii

VIP Member
I am away in South Africa in a couple of months which is right when it rains...heavily. I will be taking my camera with me and of course plan to use it, but do not want it getting damaged.

It was quite happy with some pretty heavy showers when I was in France, but that was only for a couple of hours, not repeatedly daily, so my question is, how can I best waterproof both my bag and my camera?

spirit

Staff member
Which camera do you own Aastii? It's an EOS 30D isn't it? Sometimes you can buy waterproof covers for the camera body itself, so take a look and see if you can get one of those.

As for the bag, it might be best to buy a waterproof bag if you are concerned. My LowePro Nova AW has a waterproof cover which can put on the bag, I think most of the LowePro Nova AW bags have those.

Aastii

VIP Member
Yup I have a 30D and the bag can take a heck of a lot of rain which I was surprised at, however we will not be out just for the day, we will likely spend days at a time out or consecutive days out, so it would not have time to dry off. Although now that I think about it, it probably won't take too long to dry in 40-50 degrees heat :p.

I am not going and buying another bag, I would sooner do a DIY jobby with double sided tape and plastic bags before dish out on another camera bag because this one is awesome. It is very comfy to carry, looks good, it is solid in build and protection for the camera and it is like Mary Poppins' bag, I have managed to get my camera, two lenses, all accessories, a full change of clothes (t-shirt, jeans and underwear), snacks and a drink in there, with room to spare.

All that these textile waterproof bags will be is treated - can I not just do that myself? Textile waterproofing solution is cheap as chips, would that not work for the bag?

The camera then, I am unlikely to use it out in super heavy rain because they tend to come with thunderstorms, which I do not plan to go out in... You are on ground made of iron where I am going so it is dangerous to be out then anyway. Even in extremely heavy rain, it shouldn't get so wet that it would cause damage before I can get it back in my bag surely, so am I worrying over not too much with that one and am I better off just sorting the bag?

spirit

Staff member
Yeah, see if you can get a waterproof camera body cover for your 30D. Not sure if you can waterproof lens covers or not, you might be able to. Have a look around.

You can have a go at waterproofing the bag if it's a cheap procedure. Give it a go and test it in the shower or something haha.

TFT

VIP Member
Go into any outdoor shop and get some 'Nikwax', and waterproof the camera bag.
http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/
As you probably know, be careful with plastic bags as the condensation created inside of them can be destructive.

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
Go into any outdoor shop and get some 'Nikwax', and waterproof the camera bag.
http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/
As you probably know, be careful with plastic bags as the condensation created inside of them can be destructive.

Yep this is the sort of thing I meant, and the bag I will keep open all the time I am inside or under cover, so condensation shouldn't be an issue.

What is the most wet your cameras have been and still working? I am now considering whether it is worth worrying about the body at all so long as i keep the bag waterproof, i can get it all put away fairly sharpish so I cant see it being a massive issue to get a drop or two on it.

spirit

Staff member
I took a Fuji S4000 to the Lake District last year and it got pretty wet and it still worked. That's a very basic bridge camera with no weather-sealing of any kind.

I think the 30D will be fine to a degree, but I wouldn't have it out in the rain for too long since it is not weather-sealed, but it can stand the odd shower here and there.