Wave byebye to freeware :'(

shupola

bluedishwasher said:
Dont know how many of you know this already but, included in the upcoming Windows Vista there will be a file "tcpa.dll" this does not let anything not signed by microsoft run, and seeing as freeware programmers cant afford to sign theyre software you can either pay $50 to run your "freeware" or go out and buy software. so soon well all have to say good bye to our beloved Firefox, zone alarms and openoffice :'(

ok, if that file was the problem couldnt you just go into the system folder and delete that file?? problem solved.:)

and another thing to think about is why would microsoft care if anyone uses firefox instead of ie? in case you have forgotten, microsoft doesnt charge for ie......it comes with windows. and you can download it for free at their website. i dont think that this signing crap has anything to do with mozilla.

Veurruckte

magicman said:
Not for me, it just makes me eager to seek a workaround... :p
*cough* A workaround like switching to mac or *nix /*cough*

Anyways, I didn't read up on this topic at all. So if it's only for drivers I partially take back what I said.

lee101

VIP Member
Motoxrdude said:
*Does this make any one want to switch to a mac?*
Ity will seriously make me consider it when i get my next pc, i was going to get one when i had my current one but i wanted to build my own, this should be the time when apple should make osx compatible with windows pc's, and i hope they do.

But for now i'm looking into linux, i have a copy of ubuntu that i installed once, it was pretty good but on an old pc was soo slow, i'm currently looking around to see what driver support there is for my hardware, if i find everything i want i may just say Bye bye to billy's windows :D

Motoxrdude

Yuep. Mac definitly has a chance of making it big time. If they actually come out with a good OS, Miscrosoft is in big trouble. Maybe MS will take out that non-signed garbage because Mac might come out with OSXI. WHo knows.

bluedishwasher

ok, if that file was the problem couldnt you just go into the system folder and delete that file?? problem solved.

and another thing to think about is why would microsoft care if anyone uses firefox instead of ie? in case you have forgotten, microsoft doesnt charge for ie......it comes with windows. and you can download it for free at their website. i dont think that this signing crap has anything to do with mozilla.

Try deleting tcpa smart ass you think its that easy? wrong you cant delete it. i say we all go linux and get the windows emulator. linux do everything :D you can even get it on ipod :p i call it: the lipod

help!!

banned
I dont get it, what does DRIVER SIGNING have to do with all other programs? I think this is BS and its not going to happen and you are wrong. but that is just my opinoin. i guess we would have to wait and see.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
help!! said:
I dont get it, what does DRIVER SIGNING have to do with all other programs? I think this is BS and its not going to happen and you are wrong. but that is just my opinoin. i guess we would have to wait and see.
That's just it. Anyone who reads M$'s page will see that it's drivers, not applications, that will be affected. :rolleyes:
Tom

Motoxrdude

OvenMaster said:
That's just it. Anyone who reads M$'s page will see that it's drivers, not applications, that will be affected. :rolleyes:
Tom
O well in that case, thats a little better. I mean no more omega drivers but stock drivers arent too bad.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Read this webpage, this is a little concerning from a general user's point of view...:

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cach...es.html+windows+tcpa&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=8

The implications of this type of software coding is just..., they're aren't words to describe it!
Crap, and now I was reading later that they thinking of hardwiring into the hardware too, and there's a Congressman who's trying to get it done...

EDIT: Ok, so I might have gotten a little carried away..., remember to always check your sources! :)
I found this site which seems to be a little more reputable:

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cach...tal.pdf+windows+tcpa&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=9

This seems rather reasonable in it's approach, but I guess we won't necessarily know until something actually happens... :)

Last edited:

Dr Studly

banned
A username said:
Try Suse. Or if you are more experienced, try RedHat or MEPIS
isn't redhat like REALLY expencive tho?

this isn't gona go well w/ people... what is gona happen is microsoft is gona release it and people are gona be mad at them so there will be a fix in the windows update

and for us computer people there will be a patch :)

Last edited:

Lamilia

you mean like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832106213
I think you can get it for free on their website or something someone explained it on some website somewhere and something.......anyways i think its like a server version or something like that oh wait
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS(formerly Red Hat Linux Advanced Server) is........
yeah its server edition the normal pc version is available on the website for free im pretty sure.

Veurruckte

Redhat isn't free anymore, and it's for workstations and servers. Instead redhat started fedora core, which obviously is free.

Anyways, my basketball team got eliminated from the tournament tonight. I think I'll go have a beer.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Indeed. Very, very good links, Dciscouts. Thank you!
What's that Bible verse where Jesus says to not worry about tomorrow, for today has enough worries of its own? :D
Tom

Dr Studly

banned
wait... someone find a crack? cracks are applications... so you can't install freeware... so how are we gona install a crack???

Dr Studly

banned
OvenMaster said:
What's that Bible verse where Jesus says to not worry about tomorrow, for today has enough worries of its own?
Tom
thank u!
makes me feel better, not worrying about tomarrow... and yes ik that verse

help!!

banned
i'm telling you people its not for all aplications, its for drivers, so it would be more like those drivers you can install instead of the company ones where you can OC more and have more options and stuff that you wont be able to use.

Vince013

I urge everyone to go to that link in the second post of this thread and read it through, then read the comments. it will resolve the issue.

I just realized Microsoft Office was $100! Lol spread the word.. get OpenOffice.org! Did you know OpenOffice.org can read Microsoft Word, Microsoft Exel, and Microsoft Powerpoint files! What's the Point of buying the Office.

In conclusion: The only reason you would would even consider buying Windows is for point-and-click software, and other sorts of eye candy.
There is the rather agonizing issue concerning Microsoft's monopoly on the ever-growing and popular gaming industries...