WD Raptor Hard Drive

jordan_ellipsis

I was going to buy the Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD Hard Drive - mainly for the 10,000rpm speed.

But i just noticed its a SATA 1.5 Gb/s - should i not really be looking for a 3.0Gb/s drive?

Im hoping to build a pretty high-end system and dont want the hard drive to let me down.

So basically, is 3Gb/s much better than 1.5Gb/s ?

Bobo

banned
You won't notice a big difference between 1.5Gb/s and 3Gb/s.

Raptors only come in 1.5Gbps.

How high-end is the system? What are the rest of the parts?

I would recommend just getting a SATA 3Gbps 7200rpm drive.

Or if you have the money, you could get a SCSI controller and a 15k drive....

Last edited:

starcab

A 3.0gb/s drive whould be better if you use your pc for video editing,3d rendering and generally if you deal with large files.

Grey410

Get the right cable for the job

Make sure you get a 3gb/sec cable for the drive if you get a 3gb/sec drive. As they will work with a reg 1.5gb cable which is what ships with all mbs. The Raptor is nice as my roommate has one. But I had 2 gbs of ram to his 1gb and my games all loaded WAY faster. I was on an AMD 64 3200, 6800GT, 300gb WD 3gb using 1.5gb cable and he was on Opty 165, 10k rpm Raptor, 7600GT and I ALWAYS smoked him in the load times. Not sure why. Now with my current rig I'm half his load time if not more hehehehe. :D

jordan_ellipsis

The system is to be used mainly for music editing - maybe some video editing - Pro Tools/Logic etc. Also, id like to be able to use it for moderate gaming.

Im probs getting the Intel core 2 Extreme Processor, the X6800.

As for mobo, im still not sure but theres not much option for the X6800.

Memory-wise, again not 100% sure - maybe the new xms corsair stuff, maybe something cheaper - along the lines of DDR2 800 (or 667 with timings bumped) 2 x 1Gb

I cant be arsed with SCSI i dont think, too much effort and cash.

What is more important for a hard drive - transfer rate or rpm?

Arm_Pit

banned
I'm not completly updated on HD, but the last few artciles i read would point to better performence with the 10K rpm

SirKenin

banned
A Raptor should pretty much completely smoke any SATA 2 drives on anything but burst transfers. Even then they will be pretty close. I would definitely take one over a SATA 2 drive of any description.