Web sites won't load with active Internet connection

Aaron Reinhard

As the subject states, I am having trouble loading websites on my desktop PC.

First, I don't believe it is necessary to list my hardware due to already ruling out a hardware issue.
(I installed a brand new wireless card and it connected, but had the same problems as the ethernet connection. Plus, I am able to use Teamviewer and connect to other PCs over 1,000 miles away.)

Software-wise: I am running Windows 7 Home premium on an SSD. I also have 6 other hard drives (this desktop is my personal home server.)

Currently, my PC is connected via ethernet.

In addition to web browsers not loading pages, my Avast Anti-virus is unable to connect as well as my other cloud software (Google Drive and Dropbox).

I originally found the problem when I tried to open Chrome one day and NOTHING HAPPENED, not even a blank window.

When I tried IE, it tried to load several webpages for about a minute each and then gave up.

As far as troubleshooting that has already been done, I ran my Hiren utilities for networking problems. So, winsock, ipconfig /release and /renew, DNS flush, and the others included have already been performed with no success.

As far as I can tell, my only other optin is to back up my Windows registry and erformatting the O/S.

Any suggestions or ideas that I didn't cover?

Agent Smith

You're welcome!

Check out Herdprotect portable for a great anti-virus scanner. It uses 68 anti-virus engines. Just beware you might get a false hit here and there so really research what it thinks is a virus or unwanted software. Another is Freefixer which will provide a link for each module so that you can research said module. But I gotta tell you. In the years I've used Avast, it messed with my TCP/IP stack. Try this once. Run an Internet speed test at speedtest.com with Avast. Note the speed. Now either disable Avast or completely uninstall and run the speed test again. You will more than likely find a difference in speed. This is what I have found using Avast. That might be due to the so-called Internet protection module or what ever they call it now a days. I used to use Bitdefender Free which was pretty solid. But it interfered with Team Viewer. Then I tried Immunet and that caused issues too on this laptop. Not so on the netbook though which is the only Anti-virus worth a damn that will run on a netbook without lagging it out. Now I use no anti-virus. I just depend on Sandboxie for my browser, the NoScript add-on and the uBlock add-on which blocks ADs that could be laced with malware. Then I periodically scan the computer with Herdprotect, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, ADwcleaner, TDSSkiller and Freefixer. Pretty much over board, but I never find anything. LOL Just depends on what you download and what you do on the Internet. Just need to take a proactive approach. In fact, I haven't had a virus since 2004 when I ran Windows 98se. I also use a small App called spy-the-spy which will monitor directories for changes, but it can be a PITA. I have two directories being monitored: C:\windows and the C:\users\[username]\appdata folder.