webcam help please? I need one, have no experience w/ them

darussiaman

Hi guys, I want to buy a webcam. Is there any advice at all any of you can give me? I really don't know much about them. Is it true that often times the webcam viewing a person will show things he/she does kind of in slow motion? Or just drop frames if he/she moves too fast?

Any advice really appreciated

Roxxxie

Hi there..ive had a few webcams...they go from pretty cheap(20 dollars) and up..the one i use is Logitech..really easy too..u just download the info from the cd it comes with and it pretty much tells u how to work it..theres one thats a little more that comes with a headset now too..and mine has a mic..depending i think on the price is the quality picture u will get...i use mine on Yahoo and mine can freeze or on a good day..lol..it wont do that alot..u can take still pics too but they arent that great..if u want one that isnt as grainy and has a better picture theres more on the market but are more expensive......good luck!;)

TFT

VIP Member
Same advice as Roxxie but broadband is really needed for you to stand a chance of no jerkiness in the video. Even then if the internet is loaded there will still be a slowdown of the video. But don't go for a cheapie as the resolution is very poor to start with.

darussiaman

OK, thanks a lot, guys! I'll shell out like ~$50 or more for it, then. That's not a cheapie, right? I wasn't planning on spending more than like 75 though. So, 50-75 dollars will get me decent results, right? Oh, and yeah I do have broadband, and so does the person I plan to chat with.

Roxxxie

thats good..but plan on still having freezes in the cam sometimes..just the way it is..lol..mine has good moments and bad ones..lol..modern technology;)..just dont have alot of windows open either..it seems to make things crash easier in my experience expecially on Yahoo.....

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Yeah, $50 should get you quite a good webcam. But just due to the limitations of USB and if you have any other programs running in the background, you're probable still going to get the occasional jerkyness. The MS LifeCam VX3000 should be around that price, as well as the Logitech QuickCam Pro is about $60.