Webcam Launch Black Screen with White Square

Hi All!

Anyone have any ideas why when I launch my webcam from my computer to test it works, it'll work for a few seconds and then the screen goes blank with a white rectangle in it and then the computer seems to have crashed?

Escape doesn't work neither does ctrl alt delete. The screen just remains blank with with the white square / rectangle displayed somewhere on it. I have to do a hard reset and reboot my computer with the power button held down.

Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If your computer works fine with it not plugged in then you can only assume something is wrong with the webcam.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check the event viewer to see if there any info in there under system to see if it lists anything that may explain it. Did you install the latest driver for that video card or did you just let windows install it?

Check the event viewer to see if there any info in there under system to see if it lists anything that may explain it. Did you install the latest driver for that video card or did you just let windows install it?
Yeah no drivers were installed for the new graphics card as far as I'm aware. It just worked. Also in Device Manager, it's saying that the graphics card drivers and the webcam drivers detected are the best for that device. The fan lead was never connected on the new graphics card as it wasn't in the right place if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Download and install the latest driver for the video card and that should fix it. Windows usually won't install the latest driver. If you tell me what card you have, I can link you to the latest driver for it.

Download and install the latest driver for the video card and that should fix it. Windows usually won't install the latest driver. If you tell me what card you have, I can link you to the latest driver for it.
I've tried, there doesn't seem to be a driver for that card for Windows 11. I've tried a Windows 10 driver for it but wouldn't install. The graphics card is NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I've tried, there doesn't seem to be a driver for that card for Windows 11. I've tried a Windows 10 driver for it but wouldn't install. The graphics card is NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800.
Considering that card is 15 years old I can understand why. Get a new card.

My old graphics card though packed in quickly I feel, just shy of 4 years. You would expect it t9 last many more years than that wouldn't you? My Dell computer before I bought this one in 2020 is still working now (as far as I know) and the graphics card hadn't packed in before 2020 and I bought it 2007.

What would make it pack in, taking HDMI leads out a few times or the bedroom has been very cold at times?

Couriant

Any hardware can be compromised by a number of factors; wear and tear from plugging in/out (this would give you a no signal issue, not freezing when plugging in a camera), power issues in the home/office, being left on 24/7, to heat related issues. Another possibility would be that it wasn't built properly/had bad components that eventually worn out.

Without testing the camera on another computer to make sure it's not causing the issue, or another camera on yours to confirm it's your machine, it's hard to say, but I would also lean towards the video card, especially if the camera is a more modern one.

Edit: Even though I read your posts, I didn't scroll back up to confirm what you have done. If two different cards are doing the same thing, and one of them is newer, then I wonder if it's Windows that is causing the issue...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member