Webcam Question

gowings0

Hello all,

I am currently in the market to buy a webcam for my laptop. The only problem is, I know nothing about cameras. I have been trying to read reviews and specifications on several different cameras and all I see is a bunch of Gibberish about pixels, resolution, and several other words that have no meaning to me. I have looked on Ebay, and there are several cameras for around $10 that seem decent to me, however there are also cameras for $120 that look very similar.

For example, I found one that is 16 MegaPixel with up to 2560 x 1920 (somethings, I don't know what unit it is talking about) and 640x480 30 F/S transmission rate for $14. What do you guys thing about this?

I am not looking for a fancy webcam, just something that I can use with my Skype account to talk to my friends back home. I see the $120 Logitec webcams, but that is not what I need, just something simple yet nice enough so that the person on the other end can see me well.

One of my friends has a MacBook Pro and the camera built into his computer is very nice. Is there any external camera that is equivalent to the one in his computer? If so, I believe that may be what I am looking for.

Just a note: I am running XP on my computer.

Thank you for your help!

A Cheese Danish

Not too sure about the one you listed. If you could get a model number or a link that would be great.
This is the one I have and it works flawlessly! Haven't had any issues with it, everything was clear, sometimes pixelated, but you could still see me very well.
In any cam you get, there will be some sort of lag between you and the picture due to your internet and computer specs.
The main reason why the more expensive ones are, well, more expensive, is that they have a larger megapixel camera on them, so you get a somewhat clearer picture.
But really, any cam should be fine for you. The norm for mega pixels is 1.3 I believe. Some do have more, but they will be up in price.

Hope this helps somewhat.

gowings0

Yes, that helps very much! Thank you.

This is not the one I mentioned above, however it is a similar one.
Link

What do you think of this one?