Webcam Security

elcoops

My daughter uses our webcam on MSN Messenger. People have added her and say that they have been watching her without her being connected to them. Is this possible? I'm using Mcafee security suite, if it is possible, what can I do about it please. I'm a concerned dad

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
There are programs out, that claim to be able to allow you to watch someone without them noticing. Wether they can live up to this claim or not, i dont know because ive never tried using one as its just plain sick. Id tell your daughter to either unplug the webcam when she isnt using it, or face it towards a wall or something. Ill do a bit more research on it for you, and see if the programs do work.

elcoops

Thanx, I appreciate your help. I thought I had all angles covered when it came to my kids but I don't think you can be too carefull.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
I had a look, but couldn't find much. The few they have on torrent sites dont download because nobody has the whole file. And i couldnt find anything with a google search, unless i overlooked something, but i was pretty thorough.
I thought I had all angles covered when it came to my kids but I don't think you can be too carefull.
Im the same way with my little sisters.

SAAER45

I know for a fact that there are programs that run undetected (they can be sent through email, IM, etc.) that can run the camera without her knowing, (it's completely sick, I know). Most of them will come up on updated virus software, but I would second his suggestion of unpluging the webcam.

There is also a good chance that the people who she is talking to are bluffing, but I would play on the safe side and unplug it...

Skizzor

Well ask your daughter is any of her contacts sent her a file that didnt work. Many people do this. It is a back door trojan that can be used by a program to connect to your computer and access all your files or even worse TURN ON YOUR WEBCAM! I would ask your daughter if she accepted any files or opened any file attachments from email. Tell her do not accept any files unless its a person that you trust.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Skizzor said:
Well ask your daughter is any of her contacts sent her a file that didnt work. Many people do this. It is a back door trojan that can be used by a program to connect to your computer and access all your files or even worse TURN ON YOUR WEBCAM! I would ask your daughter if she accepted any files or opened any file attachments from email. Tell her do not accept any files unless its a person that you trust.

I would alter that suggestion by saying only accept attachments that you know are coming/seem appropriate. Most of these viruses transmit through people that know eachother...

Motoxrdude

I am pretty sure there are trojans/viruses that do this. i mean, how hard can it be since msn already udilizes the webcam. Just unplug it, or have it face another direction unless she is using it.