Website hosting form home

BeaverusIV

I have a 2Mbit connection and a p3 650MHz server so i thought i might host my businesses website. how would i go about this? i have installed apache and php and mysql and got it running on http://localhost, but how do i register the domain name? do i have to pay for it?

silver 95

as far as i know, you'll have to pay for it. you'll also have to find someone can register it for you. that shouldn't be hard to find though. its not that expensive either. the company i work for will register a domain name for 25 bucks if it's not .ca or 40 if it is a .ca I live in canada, so im sure the prices will vary where ever you are.

Southy

You can get free domain's from such places as: http://www.no-ip.com/ and probably many other internet sites too... but when they are free, you arent able to get a www.yournamehere.com sort of deal... as the quote goes, "you get what you pay for"... but if that makes no difference, it all works the same...

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Make sure you have a static IP address and not a dynamic one...

what kind of internet connection do you have?

DSL, cable???

LANrackGUY

You will have to pay a yearly fee for your domain name,
and then use a free service to point to your ip address.
There are tons of registrars out there... don't pay more than $10.

what's your upload speed?
I have a high speed internet too, but my upload is capped at 256k.
I wouldn't want to run my business website on that, hopefully yours is faster.

IMO - It just isn't worth hosting your own site.
I only pay my webhost $20 a month, and I can host unlimited domains.
MySql, php, are included, along with redundant connections to the internet,
tech support, etc.
This is just a small list of reasons why I think you should just let the pros handle it.

Do you have an identical set of hardware standing by in case something dies?
Do you have a RAID setup? A backup tape? UPS?

Just some things to think about.
Hope this helps.

Southy

LANrackGUY makes some good points... if all your doing is hosting a personal website that isnt too important, than hosting the site from home works fine but if your hosting a business website, people/customers expect it to load fast and be reliable (which reflects your business) and that is what you will get when you pay for the hosting... and as LANrackGUY pointed out, it is relatively cheap too so its probably the better way to go...

flakpanzer

This is easy:

By a domain name from a compnay such as 1and1 (www.1and1.com).

Once you have purchased said domain name simply type your IP address in the destination field.

Slight complication: due to the shortage of IP addresses your IP address is likely to change every time you reconnect to the net.

This chnages due to something called Dynamic DNS.

It is possible to somehow solve this problem by going to various websites offering resolutions to your exact problem (www.dynDNS.com) or you could simply ask your ISP to give you a Static IP (for a small fee i'm sure)