Website spell-check/grammar check

Laquer Head

My old man and his business partner called me and asked if I could go over there new business website and check it for spelling, grammer, etc etc. (Why they asked me is another question..but anyhow)

Is there any recommended spell-check/grammar check software or program that people here can recommend for website building/design. I obviously have MS Word and can copy/paste each section of their website into it, run spell check, but looking for possible alternates.

Any insight is appreciated.

bbudesa

I've not seen a spell-check program that will catch everything in every grammatical situation, but MS Word is a good as any.

I mean this in no way to offend, but I'll use your first sentence in an example that backs up my next statement on an issue that drives me bat-sh!t.

There's nothing like good old-fashioned sentence conjugation and grammar classes in early education to serve as your 'spell check' throughout life.

Example: "....if I could go over there new business website...."

the proper word would have been "their", indicating possession. 'There' has more to do with location.

their, they're (they are), there
your, you're (you are)
too, to, two

are but a few example of things we (65+ age group) learned early on, but it seems to have fallen by the wayside recently. Maybe teachers and instructors just throw up their hands nowadays and say "OK, close enough", and let it go. My teachers and parents would never have allowed that to happen, but would have (not would of) sent me to the woodshed to get it right.

Again, please don't take offense at this, as I don't mean it to suggest you've received an improper education. I see it across the communication landscape, and it seems to be somewhat generational.

Laquer Head

I've not seen a spell-check program that will catch everything in every grammatical situation, but MS Word is a good as any.

I mean this in no way to offend, but I'll use your first sentence in an example that backs up my next statement on an issue that drives me bat-sh!t.

There's nothing like good old-fashioned sentence conjugation and grammar classes in early education to serve as your 'spell check' throughout life.

Example: "....if I could go over there new business website...."

the proper word would have been "their", indicating possession. 'There' has more to do with location.

their, they're (they are), there
your, you're (you are)
too, to, two

are but a few example of things we (65+ age group) learned early on, but it seems to have fallen by the wayside recently. Maybe teachers and instructors just throw up their hands nowadays and say "OK, close enough", and let it go. My teachers and parents would never have allowed that to happen, but would have (not would of) sent me to the woodshed to get it right.

Again, please don't take offense at this, as I don't mean it to suggest you've received an improper education. I see it across the communication landscape, and it seems to be somewhat generational.

No offense taken, you'll also notice in my post I questioned why they asked me,....LOL

Darren

Staff member
Chrome's built in spell checker seems to be decent, although not quite as thorough as Word's grammar checking.

Agent Smith

A collage, err, I mean a college education? :D

I do see lots of hits in Google for, "grammar check software."

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Chrome's built in spell checker seems to be decent, although not quite as thorough as Word's grammar checking.
Does that run against static content though? I know it works for forum input fields, but can I scan say scan a news article and see the misspellings?

beers

Staff member
At least they asked, some idiot in my lady's family registered a LLC with grammatical errors right in the title.

I don't have too many suggestions other than word, what are they using to build the site?