weird boue screen of death

csi1189

for some reason, when i close the lid on my laptop (for at least 5 minutes or so), i open it only to get a flash of the blue screen of death, then a reboot. when it boots up, it won't get to the login scree. instead it goes to a blue screen of death again and says some sort of driver error. i just reformatted a couple weeks ago and just finished finding/reloading all my programs so i'd really not like to reformat again. any thoughts?

computerhakk

VIP Member
do you still get the blue screen?

you said it sounded like driver errors, so in response to that, if you do format it again, i know it can sound tedious but... try installing the drivers a couple or mabe even one at a time and closing the laptop for a while then opening it up. if not, you were probably hit with an infection.

Industry2m

you're probably having a problem when your computer enters stand-by (most notebooks by defaul enter stand-by mode when the lid is closed).

Check your manufacturer site and see if there is a new BIOS verison that corrects this problem and also contact your manufacturer to see if they can suggest anything.'

If you have windows xp, right click on MY COMPUTER > PROPERTIES > ADVANCED > STARTUP & RECOVERY SETTINGS > uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART under system failure.

This will allow you to see the error on the bluescreen without the computer restarting. Why would microsoft set the pc to automatically restart by default when there is a hardware crash, it's kind of stupid.

Last edited:

vortmax

csi1189 said:
it goes to a blue screen of death again and says some sort of driver error.

Try writing down as much info as you can about the error. Us knowing what driver (at least what kind of driver) will be much more helpfull then just "I get some sort of error).

If it's a video driver (which it probably is), start in safe mode, dl the latest version, uninstall the video card through device manager (not just uninstall the driver) reboot and point windows to the new driver when it detects the vid card