Weird Noise

RAW

I recently bought a new computer (I picked the parts, they put it together) and it works perfectly fine after installing drivers and such. But every so often (usually about once or twice a day) I hear this noise coming from inside the computer case. The noise sounds like a small airplane in the sky as it approaches (gets louder), gets right over you (loudest), and then fades away. Although it's loud, it's not like a large airplane sound, as those sound more hollow. This sound is like a small airplane motor; the sound is more dull and higher pitched. It only lasts about 10-20 seconds and then it goes away. It's weird it sounds exactly like an airplane though, especially when it fades out. Any idea of what this could be? It doesn't seem to be doing any harm, but I just want to make sure. Specs in sig.

Thanks.

Archangel

VIP Member
sounds like your CPU fan speeds up and then slows down.
my guess is, that you mobo adjusts the fan speed to the temperature of the CPU. so if your CPU is getting hot, the FAN speeds up. because the fan spinning faster, it cools the cpu better.. so after a while, the FAN slows down again.

RAW

I don't think so, because in the BIOS there is a setting for "smart fan" that speeds/slows down the fans according to temperatures. So during gaming I can hear the fans getting louder, and after a while, it slows down and becomes quiet (like you said). But the sound I mentioned in my first post is very different.

prodigio2k

try thhis

open the case ,could be the power syplu cables touching one of the fans, or it could be what the 1st guy say the motor speed up..BUT YOU KNOW WHAT IT MIGHT BE (soryy caps on) your DVD drive might have a cd inside,,itaht used to happen to me,and everytime i went to "my computer" or to "contro pannel",since there was a cd inside the dvd sameks a sound everytime all of a sudden the reads or scan the CD,,,i had this problem beforer,so it might be a solution,hpe i dont get bash for the "dvd inside the drive theory" ,,lol hope that helps,,,and oh.. I MISSEDDDD this forum, 4 months :eek: away, :( .

Zeus2005

well if its not fans etc, could be ur hard drive, but hope its not cause that could mean its broken- but i doubt it coz then ur pc wouldnt run properly. My bet is on the fans speeding up, but ye, open up the case when u hear the noise and find out!

Archangel

VIP Member
a HD doesnt make noise like a aircraft. (propellor)
If its not the CPU FAN, it also mcht be your PSU FAN. some PSU's have emp controlled fans to.