weird noises from inside computer case

jose

Hello everybody
I just started hearing a noise coming from inside the computer case, at the same time I had a heater aimed at the computer (without realizing it of course)
anyway, I now hear a noise periodically coming inside the case,
The 3 questions I have are
1 is the hard drive about to go?

2 how can I transfer all of my data, at least the important information to
a new computer or about how much will I be charged for this service?

3 if the hard drive goes before I am able to transfer the data, what can be done?

thanks
jose

SFR

Truth fears no questions
jose said:
1 is the hard drive about to go?

2 how can I transfer all of my data, at least the important information to
a new computer or about how much will I be charged for this service?

3 if the hard drive goes before I am able to transfer the data, what can be done?

thanks
First off you do not even know if it is your hard drive thats making the noise.
Secondly if you want to transfer all of your important information you can find a free storage website on the internet. If the data is of a personal nature you can use another storage media like cd-r(w) or dvd-r(w). If you do not have a cd/dvd burner you transfer data to another computer through a serial or parallel cable.

If your hard drive IS the problem and it stops working, disk is scratched, read/write head could have hit one of the disks... basically thats the end of the drive. But you arent even sure the hard drive is the problem.

You might want to open up the case and actually find out what hardware component is making the noise.. or descripe what the noise sounds like to us.

Blade

to abck up your data take out the drive and put it in a diff. system as a slave drive, adn copy all files over that you wish to keep. When you get a new drive, do the same AFTER installing windows, and copy the files back