weird problem that i can't get around

loserpunkx182

i posted in the motherboard forum but it was not motherboard related so i'm reposting it here..sorry

loserpunkx182 said:
ok this is buggin me now...i installed a fresh copy of windows xp pro on her hard drive, put her hard drive as primary master in my machine and boots up just fine.

now i take her hard drive, put it back into her machine (amd socket A), it boots but windows dont start. if i go into bios and do too much it would freeze...when it gets to the windows boot bar it would freeze..basically, it would freeze with anything. however it had windows xp on it before so i dont understand what is wrong...anyone? *cough* praetor *cough* :p

also when i try to install windows on her machine it would copy all the files and it would freeze when it says "starting windows" on the blue screen

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
i installed a fresh copy of windows xp pro on her hard drive, put her hard drive as primary master in my machine and boots up just fine.

Just curious as to why you would put it onto your computer as the primary drive and boot from it?

You should never do this as drivers will be installed by the OS that'll conflict with the other computer usualy. You where actualy lucky that it booted on your computer because of this :p but I've seen it a few times. Anyhow without reading much more on what others have posted I'd suggest re-instal windows on her machine.

As for the error on the windows instal you could have reformatted the disk in while it was in your machine and tried :).

loserpunkx182

well her hard drive was so corrupted with viruses and spyware that it would freeze after the desktop boots even in safe mode. so i first had it as a slave on mine and format it. put it back on hers as primary and tried to install windows but that's when the freeze on the installation began..so i put it in mine as the primary and install windows hoping it would just boot on hers when i put it back into her machine...but as u guys said, it wont work unless i install it while it's in her machine

i'll try that:D thanks...hopefully it'll be that easy

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
You are choosing to reformat the drive each time right? also do not do the Quick format option. If you put it back into your computer as slave to reformat that way check for bad sectors and the whole nine yards to make sure that the HD is functioning fully.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ok this is buggin me now...i installed a fresh copy of windows xp pro on her hard drive, put her hard drive as primary master in my machine and boots up just fine.

now I take her hard drive, put it back into her machine (amd socket A), it boots but windows dont start.
1. Sounds liek you installed XP using your machine ... dont do that. Use her machine's ('sides all that time waiting for the installation can be put to good use :p ... ok self-control ... ok :p)

2. While it is possible for you to simply pop the machine over and have it boot up fine, its not a common event

3. If there is a boot/cd problem that prevents you from installing via her machine, start the install process using your machine and when you reboot, turn the power off and take the harddrive to her machine

however it had windows xp on it before so I dont understand what is wrong...anyone? *cough* praetor *cough*
Multiple term projects came to pass... :p

loserpunkx182

Praetor said:
1. Sounds liek you installed XP using your machine ... dont do that. Use her machine's ('sides all that time waiting for the installation can be put to good use :p ... ok self-control ... ok :p)

2. While it is possible for you to simply pop the machine over and have it boot up fine, its not a common event

3. If there is a boot/cd problem that prevents you from installing via her machine, start the install process using your machine and when you reboot, turn the power off and take the harddrive to her machine

Multiple term projects came to pass... :p

self control....NO SELF CONTROL hahah yeah i've been tryin to use her machine..i would leave it but when i'm back from class it's still at the same screen*sigh* but i'll try #3

multiple term projects huh? sounds like the time of ur life :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
..i would leave it but when i'm back from class it's still at the same
1. Address, phonenumber? :p (ok self-control....:p)
2. Would be worth doing a memory test (or even setting BIOS to defaults during installation)

loserpunkx182

naughty.gif

2. how would i do a memory test

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
good deal...i'm gonna have to find out how to do it tho cause her memory's 168pins
Nothing to it, pop a floppy/cd in there and boot the floppy/cd and let it rip :)