weird problem windows xp

micali

When I try and open the my computer folder the screen will open but a flashlight appears and goes back and forth like it is trying to find something. In about 5 min it will open with the correct items. Why?

diablo

its doing that cause it can't find the file or prog right off the bat. run a spy ware and ad ware prog and clean your system. then check your memory. how many programs do you have running at the same time. I huse to have this happen to me alot when I only hav 128 mb ram and now I added another 512mb ram and I don't have the problem any more. so check this. Your comp uses your ram to store things in for fast access. If you don't have enough then It takes a while for it to searc your whole HDD for it

micali

I am supposed to have 512 megs of ram. I think it is only recognizing 256. I am running a spyware program adaware and spybot but it hasn't helped.

diablo

micali said:
I am supposed to have 512 megs of ram. I think it is only recognizing 256. I am running a spyware program adaware and spybot but it hasn't helped.

do you have two 256 cards or one 512 card. if it is two 256 then open up your comp and ensure that they are seated properly and chesk what kind they are and ensure that they are compatible with your computer. Then go into set up or bios and configure your memory

micali

wow sounds all nice but I don't know if the chips are compatible with my pc or not. I am running 2-256 cards. I am not sure about the bios thing but I am willing to learn. I have pulled both chips and they are seated properly. I have three slots on my motherboard and the first one can not be used because one of my cards is in the way. So I am using the last two. I ran belarc advisor and it says that only one slot is being used. I am running a azza motherboard 8363-686A

KillermilleR

you could try to defragment your hard drive if u have alot of files in it...... do it even if it has a small amount of files........aslo check your mb manuel or the website for info on the type of ram it supports.........also u should know that different brands of ram don't "mix" well with others....eg if one stick is samsung, then the other should be sumsung also.

Last but not least you should take a look at your task manager on the "process tab" and note all the different processes that are running. If u see any strange process that your're not sure about use google to find out what it does!!!!..good luck..

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
When I try and open the my computer folder the screen will open but a flashlight appears and goes back and forth like it is trying to find something. In about 5 min it will open with the correct items. Why?
What kind of files are in that folder?