Weird software problems with Gateway laptop.

Kristjan

Hello, my mother bought me a Gateway 6510GZ laptop. First thing I did was that I got ZoneAlarm Pro on it. It restarted nicely. Then I downloaded Kaspersky Anti-Virus Home Edition trial version, after that I closed internet connection for safety with ZoneAlarm Pro. I uninstalled all Norton and McAfee applications that we're pre-installed on the computer. After the restart when it says "Welcome" suddenly appeared a blue screen and disappeared in less than a second. Then it restarted and did same thing for many times.

Finally, it logged in successfuly and said that Windows has recovered from a serious error. Ok, then I installed Kaspersky Anti Virus and restarted after the install. Same trouble. I unlocked internet connection and downloaded all serious fixes for Windows XP Home Edition. I am not sure if it was then or after a few more restarts, but then Windows completely refused to load, and instead the Windows loading bar (before log-in, you know that black one /w with windows logo and loading) the screen was completely back. I searched for Windows XP Home Edition CD but it turned out that Gateway didn't give it to me. I decided to try out the recovery tool and after about 30 minutes Windows XP showed up again.

But I'd like to get rid of the Norton and McAfee, I can't stand them. Ok, McAfee is ok, but I really do hate Norton. What should I do and has anyone encountered similar problems?

riddick

Sounds to me like there was an error on the install. Have you checked there Q&A section? I would uninstall and re-install and see what that does.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
If the laptop was bought from a proper retail outlet then you should have got a restore disc, justy pop it in and boot up. Back to normal in less than an hour!