Weird sounds from graphics card?

Beusidel

Hello there,

I'm new to this forum and already have a question. Recently I started to hear weird sound from my computer case when I'm in game, from beginning I thought that it's some sound either from cooler that is on case itself, either CPU cooler, but no. After listening some time to it, and after recording video on phone, I'm sure that the sound is coming from graphics card. The moments when the sound disappears is when I minimize CS:GO (don't listen to that weird vent sound, just listen exactly to that "zzzzzzz"). Maybe someone has any clue what could it be? It gets pretty annoying because case is close to me and I hear that sound pretty good when playing... By the way, dont look at some dust aswell, I cleaned PC 2 days ago when I was changing CPU/Motherboard/RAM. (dont be shy, make video louder if you don't hear, no screamers xD)

You can look the 1st video here:
2nd video here:

Also, I have feeling like sound is coming either from right side of the card (closer to second vent and the place where 6-pin cable is connected) or middle of the card. (you can hear that better on second video, when I got my phone's microphone closer to graphics card).

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Sounds like coil whine. Does it happen only when the GPU is under load?

Beusidel

Sounds like coil whine. Does it happen only when the GPU is under load?

Yes, looks like that. Specially when some game with high FPS. Is there any way to fix it? I heard there might some reasons, either GPU is faulty either PSU could be problematic. :/

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
There is no way to fix it. What kind of PSU do you have? It would be dirty power, but it can also just be the way the coils in the GPU are and it is more annoying than wrong with the card.