Weird USB Front Port Issue

Manakore

Recently, I plugged my flash drive in my front USB port of my computer, and then my screen went black, as if my computer had turned off, but the monitor was still on. However, my computer was still up and running. I thought it was strange, so I unplugged my USB and tried it on another computer. It didn't affect that computer, so I figured that the screen going black at the exact moment I plugged my flash drive in was a coincidence. After the flash drive was unplugged and the computer was rebooted, the screen worked fine. However, this same odd issue happened the next time I plugged something into my USB port, but this time I tried a USB headset.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? It is worrying me and I hope it is fixable. Not being able to use my front USB ports will truly be an issue for me.

Also, occasionally I have to take my side panel off of my computer and push the USB port and headphone port panel back up, because when I plug a pair of headphones into the headphone jack it will push it back into my computer. I wouldn't think doing this would affect the USB port in this manner, but perhaps it did. Thanks for any help.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would say possibly a bad connection in the wiring or take a flashlight and shine it into the port to see if anything looks wrong. Compare it to the usb ports on the motherboard.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I would say a short or something loose in the wiring. I have the same case and the ports are firm in place, doesn't move at all.

Manakore

Thanks for the help fellas. I opened the computer up and checked the wiring, It all looked normal, but I unplugged it from the motherboard and dusted the port and plugged it back. The computer seems to be working fine now when I plug anything into the USB.