Well this sucks

speedyink

VIP Member
Alright, so a couple days ago my friend was copying some stuff off my external hard drive onto his new laptop. Unfortunately he noobed out and the hard drive fell off the table...twice, onto a carpeted floor.

It continued to work fine for a couple days.

Today I fired it up to burn some files onto a disc. I browse into a couple folders...explorer freezes. Turn off hdd, turn back on, lead to more freezing. after a while the hard drive clicks like mad, so I turn it off. I turn it back on like 10 minutes later and it lets me copy the files. Fast forward to now, it refuses to copy files while in the enclosure. So now I have it hooked directly into the computer, and I am copying the files I can off it. No more clicking, but a bunch of random files cannot be copied. Is the hard drive dead, or would a format likely fix this? I'm gonna have to resort to the freezer technique if I can't get some of my important files off it.

Knightsman

oh snap... thats not good. Get a good file recovery. I use Active File recovery.

Thats if it starts to work. Anytime you drop a harddrive while its spinning its probably going to cause some damage. SMACK your friend for that one.

brian

VIP Member
I would say a FULL format should fix it. maybe. if it does, tell your friend it is broken and get a new one :p. but i dont the the frezer thing works, i dont see how it would. but if all else fails, do what i love to do, smack the poo out of it. that has a 66.6% effect rate (2/3 drives were tested :D)

speedyink

VIP Member
yeah, he's buying me a new hdd. I managed to save quite a few files, except my pictures:mad: I'd better be able to get those back

Motoxrdude

yeah, your hard drive is toast. when sectors start to go corrupt your hdd is SOLed. I would definitly use a file recovery program asap and not try and manually rescue the files.

JlCollins005

the freezer thing works sometimes on clicking hdds, in my old xbox the hdd started clicking. well i put the hdd in the freezer for a bit and got about 10 minutes of life outta it enough time to copy my saved files before it started clicking again