Westell 6100?

I was going through my stuff of older backup modems and routers and found a small frame Westell 6100 modem.
I don't remember where or when I picked it up but last night I tried to connect to the internet with the 6100. For two hours I fought with the modem with out ever getting an internet light.
I got power, ethernet, and the DSL green light on, so I know I was connected to Centurylink down here in South Louisiana. I never got a green internet light.

Could the Westell be for another ISP like Verison or some other internet provider only?

beers

Staff member
They're usually not provider specific, but you'd need to verify the correct PPPoE settings on the device.

I tired every config I could think of but I never got a green internet light. Solid DSL but only a red internet light would appear every now and then.
Should I get a internet light even though the settings are not perfect. Usually when I install a modem/router I get the internet light on, even when the PC or Laptop doesn't connect to it yet.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Usually if you switch modems you need to contact the ISP and provide them with the MAC address of the device so they can allow it on their system.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's possible the modem is bad. Most dsl providers only require you to access the modem and enter your login details to acquire internet. However, there still might be a few that require mac address.

I tried everything I could to get it up to the internet, so it must be just defective. I had noted on the back of the modem, 04/02/2010, which was the last time I tried to get the settings right.
Six years later, so it's time to place it in the can.
Thanks for the respones

OvenMaster

VIP Member
I use a Westell 6100 supplied by Verizon for my DSL service. It's in bridge mode (= switching off the internal router and turning it into a set of blinking indicator lights) connected to a Linksys WRT54GS router.
The lights that come on for me are Power, Ethernet, and DSL. USB and Internet have never been lighted, even when I had connected my PC directly to the Westell before I had the Linksys router.

westell_lights_1.gif