what about this desktop

jonmchugh

Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum and I wanted to get some opionions on this desktop before I go through with it. I currently have a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5804 laptop with Windows XP Pro Installed on it. I was thinking about doing this trade. Let me know if you think I am getting ripped off. I do have a western digital mybook 750 gig external drive that I could sell to upgrade the video card. i was trying to sell my laptop for 425. so here is what I would be getting in return:

-asus m2n-sli delux motherboard with a Athlon 64 X2 6000+ processor
-6 gigs of corsair ddr2 ram
-500 watt thermotake power supply
-geforce 9400 gt
-250 gig seagate hardrive
-19 inch sony lcd monitor
-500 gig external harddrive with a e sata hookup
-2 30 gig ssd drives
-vista ultimate 32 with full service pack 1

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/sys/1206348935.html

There is the link to the system. The guy wants to make the trade tomorrow. Like I said before, I could always sell the 500 external hard drive and my 750 one to get a better video card. let me know what i should do.

jon

bomberboysk

Your right in my neck of the woods....(canton here) For that, the video card is a little underpowered but you could replace it yourself, two 30gig ssd's and a 250gig hdd is good. Id do the trade. The specs you listed there sound pretty good, decent power supply there also.

Trio

I read that using Vista with SSD's isn't very good. And I thought Vista 32-bit can't use all that RAM?

bomberboysk

I read that using Vista with SSD's isn't very good. And I thought Vista 32-bit can't use all that RAM?

It has vista ultimate retail according to the craigslist post, which has both 64 and 32bit media. SSD's would mainly be used for games and as a boot disc i would guess, as you wouldnt want a page file on it.

Trio

Well, the first one sounds like a sweeter deal. You should ask the first guy for the specs on the SDDs.

bomberboysk

hi thanks for the input. i don't know if i should do the trade or not. i was also offered this one http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/sys/1209862255.html. the guy said he is willing to put the 9600 gt in it. however the 2nd one has a slower processor so I don't know what I should do. please leave some feedback.

jon

Go for the first one, a custom rig is better than the HP, plus you can get a good gpu like a 4650 for relatively cheap these days($50 or so from newegg).

bcoffee20

the first one sounds like a good deal. just upgrade the video card if you're gonna play games, and later on you can upgrade the processor if you want to. might want to ask him what case its in though

zer0_c00l

that motherboard is pretty old m2n-sli-deluxe 2005 i believe. highst upgrade for it is the 9950 be . the ssd sounds sweet though :D

jonmchugh

okay thanks a lot for all of the input. if i get a hold of the guy tomorrow we will probably do the trade tomorrow. he is including the 19" monitor, the 500 gig external hard drive. he said he upgrade vista so it will recognize all 6 gigs of ram. he is keeping the 2 ssd drives. i get to keep my western digital 750 gig mybook external and i could sell that and the 9400 for a better video card. what are your final thoughts?

jon

bomberboysk

okay thanks a lot for all of the input. if i get a hold of the guy tomorrow we will probably do the trade tomorrow. he is including the 19" monitor, the 500 gig external hard drive. he said he upgrade vista so it will recognize all 6 gigs of ram. he is keeping the 2 ssd drives. i get to keep my western digital 750 gig mybook external and i could sell that and the 9400 for a better video card. what are your final thoughts?

jon

Ask that he include the vista media(dvd's) incase you reinstall in the future;)