What about this "hard drive shuffle"?

lectron

When I turn my computer on sometimes it starts doing something, whatever goes on in those little "hotels" - but I can hear the electrons bouncing around.

During this time my computer is slow as a glacier. I suspect it is Norton checking things out or Microsoft shuffling the register - but here is my question to those in the know:

Is there a way I can politely ask my computer what it's doing? :confused: (Sometimes this isn't funny because I have something I want to do. )

kobaj

VIP Member
Eh...
1. Hotels.
2. You cant hear elctrons, at least I cant.
3. Last time I checked computers couldnt talk, let alone answer questions.
4. Am I missing something.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Please list your computer specs, or what your computer has in it.

If it's a specifice brand computer (Dell, IBM...) list model # and maybe that will be easier.

Sounds like your computer is just slow or you may have become infected with alot of adware, spyware, trojans, etc and bootup is exceedingly slow.

lectron

4W4K3
I have a Dell with Windows XP/ Norton/ AVG Anti-Virus/ Spy Bot search and destroy.
There doesn't appear to be any virus or spyware left to remove. I have clicked on Norton and it has said "system status refreshing". I thought there might be a way to find out what's going on with one of these programs (like "all ports"). (I have that program but don't know what it does exactly)

I thought there might be a way to find out what the computer is doing - when it is making the noise.

Kobaj,
Yeah, I think you are missing the comparison. I called the little memory chips "hotels". As far as computers talking, you might be missing something there too.
Sorry to hear you're P'O'd. There, I might be able to help. You might be projecting your own problem on somebody else - that's probably why it "gets to you".
Lectron

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Running 2 antivirus programs is generally a bad idea. Do you know more specific specs? Listing the processer and ram speed at the very least would be helpful

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect it is Norton checking things out or Microsoft shuffling the register
Your CPU is constantly shuffling registers ... thats what they do. Now is there anything in particular that you suspect

but I can hear the electrons bouncing around.
Yes of course but by the time you hear them they will be long gone so you can only really guess that they are bouncing around ... considering the speed of light and sound are quite off.....

I have that program but don't know what it does exactly
That program??

I called the little memory chips "hotels"
Let's call them what they really are.

Sorry to hear you're P'O'd. There, I might be able to help. You might be projecting your own problem on somebody else - that's probably why it "gets to you".
Let's lay off on the Psych101.

lectron

Your CPU is constantly shuffling registers ... thats what they do. Now is there anything in particular that you suspect

This is probably what is happening. I was wondering if there was a way to find out whether it was this or something else.

I have that program but don't know what it does exactly

The program I was referring to was "All Ports" - which I downloaded from DOWNLOAD.COM - I wondered if this was a possible application.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
This is probably what is happening. I was wondering if there was a way to find out whether it was this or something else.
Whoa man .... basic CPU architecture ... register is a chunk of memory a computer has that it can deal with (think of it as fingers on yer hand). Translation: it's supposed to be shuffling registers and you cant tell which registers are shuffling and how they are shuffling unelss you decide to write your own program in 32bit (or 64bit if yer so inclined) x86 ASM. What does this all mean? Absolutly nothing.

Why? Because register shuffling is a blackbox event -- it happens or it doesnt happen and there's no way for people to find out (short of debugging/decompiling but it that was the case you wouldnt be asking). Now to deal with the sheer incorrectness of this thread: (1) you can't hear electrons bounce around. period. (2) even if you hypothetically could hear them the human body isnt able to differentiate between a subatomic object zinging around the speed of sound or the speed of light so you'd not be able to tell that it was an electron. period. (3) RAM chips, in anything resembling normal operation, dont make noise -- if they did your computer wouldnt be functional for very long

I dunno whether you were serious about "politely asking" but computers are no sentient organisms. They do as they are told (whether implicitly, explicity, directly, sequentiially or consequentially). Now before anyone can give you any form of help whatsoever I strongly suggest a few things:
1. Drop the similies and metaphors, this isnt English class ;)
2. Address the various questions asked of you: namely your specs
3. You claim that your computer is slow ... slow at doing what?