What am I missing?

mxbx64

Glad I found this forum, cuz I have been struggling through lots of issues just assuming it is the way it is.

So, I have a computer, I installed a fresh copy of Windows on the SSD drive, I installed other software as well. Then I sys-prepped the computer using OOBE, Generalize and shutdown. The Hard drive has a GPT Partition. I take another SSD drive, ensure that it is GPT. I clone the Windows SSD to the new SSD using AOMEI Backupper. I put the newly cloned drive into the same computer and it doesn't boot:

IMG_5431.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you have any other drives attached to the system when originally installing windows? It seems your either the clone didn't work correctly or boot files are screwed up/hardware missing.

mxbx64

Nope. One drive. I just tried cloning to another SSD drive. Same exact issue. This is so frustrating, because I can install Windows from scratch and it'll work fine. But the updates and subsequent stuff is what takes forever which warrants cloning. I need a more efficient solution. I'm going to try installing Windows on the drive, on the computer that I want to clone to, then pull the drive and clone the previous "sys-prepped" drive to it. To see if the windows formatting on that computer does anything special to the drive making it more bootable. This might be stupid, but I am at a loss.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe try a different cloning software? I tried 2 different programs to clone a sata SSD to an NVME SSD and it just kept bluescreening afterwards no matter what program was used. Went back to Sata SSD until I could perform a fresh install on NVME. No problems since.

mxbx64

Maybe try a different cloning software? I tried 2 different programs to clone a sata SSD to an NVME SSD and it just kept bluescreening afterwards no matter what program was used. Went back to Sata SSD until I could perform a fresh install on NVME. No problems since.
Yes, that was in the back of my mind as well. If this doesn't work, that is next. THANKS!