What are good computer companies?

Poppa P

Hi i'm interested in buying a new computer. I have been told hat there are many computer companies that I should stay away from such as Acer. Is there any other ones that are also bad and is there any good ones that I should look out for?
Help is very appreciated.

munkyeetr

My advice would be that it depends on where you live, and if there is any service centres in your area. There will be nightmares with any company, and after working in a computer store and service centre, all major brands have about the same failure rate (not surprising since the brand just puts a bunch of third party part in their machines, lots of the same parts).

Personally, I would want a machine that can be worked on locally while under warranty. Once you start shipping systems off to companies to work on, your trusting courier companies, you're waiting longer, and sometimes the machine comes back not fixed, and you have to do it all over again.

Advice: Do your research and find out what machines can be worked on locally while under warranty.

just a noob

theres nothing wrong with acer, hp, dell(ive heard mixed), gateway(they seem to be turning their act around)

headshot0123

HP, and Dell are pretty good. You can even go Puget if you have the money. Just always look at the warranty and the service pack when you buy a computer. Try to find one with complete coverage 3 year warranty.

concorde

None, really. There is no good or bad computer company, although some computer companies are better than others, but that changes all the time. They never stay consistent. Go to Staples, ask to open up two identical computers (same brand, same model, same price, same specs....) and I bet you that the hard drives will be different, the CPU heatsink in one PC would be bigger than the other - it all seems trivial but it isn't. It will effect your computer.

If I was to go down to Saltillo, Mexico where my Dodge pickup was made, they would be using the same basic components for each sub-model (Hemi V8s, Cummins, V6es) and minor changes are things like interior (leather, cloth) paint color, does it have a cheap CD player or a good mobile entertainment center with Sirius... see, with things like cars, you don't have a lot of room to work with in substituting and replacing components. Same with manufactured homes. They tend to stick to it - if they say they use 30-year Owens Corning shingles and a Rheem furnace and Weyerhaeuser lumber, gosh darn it, they use it. If they, for example, run out of GE refrigerators, they place an order. They don't have someone run off to Sears to buy a bunch of Kenmores.

What I'm saying is, there is no consistency in PCs. Laptops have a bit better consistency, well, maybe not because maybe Monday, the workers will slap in a no-name LCD panel when they don't give a whirl but on Friday (usually pay day) they feel generous and happy to end the week and throw in a Samsung panel. It works like that - always.

cohen

Just to let you know i didn't read the above posts.

Acer, Apple :p, HP, are all good brands.

Dell isn't very good as i have had past experiences with them, and that they are not good.

Acer actually owns gateway now.

That is good.