What are my 'Network Credentials'

jeffowen

I have a W10 pro PC that is ethernet connected to my Wife's W7 pro PC and until recently have been using the Local Network to pass files etc. between these PCs.

Now, when I to look at the other computer, I get a window asking for my 'Network Credentials'. I have tried many different combos but am at a loss of what actually is required as far as user name and password.

The Windows diagnostics Microsoft forums are hopeless. Hopefully this forum will come up with the answer.
Screen Shot 10-12-16 at 07.17 PM.JPG

jeffowen

I am not sure what you mean by 'local account'. Both PCs have only one account each and they both have full admin rights.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You're using your computer to connect to your wife's computer.
Your username is jeff pc w10 (or so it seems from your screenshot).
That user does not exist on your wife's computer, which is why it's erroring on you.
So if you want to connect, either create that user on her computer and use the same password, or click "More Choices" and type in her username and password.

jeffowen

Thanks for your input. I have been trying lots of changes to get out of this problem but seem only to make it worse. I turned off network passwords in the W7 PC (my wife's) and this got rid of the 'Enter Network Credentials' msg. But it still not allow me to 'see' any useful folders or files in the 'other' PC. I have tried 'sharing' in both PC's and all that has happened is a total muddle and only allows me to 'see' folders of the PC I am in. The screen shot shows just one PC (JeffPC-W10) with my comments added.
It looks as if I have totally screwed it up now.Screen Shot 10-13-16 at 06.56 PM.JPG
Have you any suggestions how I might clear up this mess and start again?

jeffowen

OK I have now been able to get my old Homegroup up and running. And it seems to be working OK. I can't seem to sort the Network fiasco so unless someone can suggest a simple answer I am just going to leave it.
Thanks everyone for your help.