What are the risks of overclocking?

wolfeking

banned
1. Don't get that cooler. Get the 212 EVO instead. Its fan is better and will move more air. Be warned though, that with every board I have tested you have to manually set the fan speed higher for better cooling. It goes to 90*C + before it moves off 500 RPM. At 1650RPM (max setting) it will hold temps at 60* load just fine with a 2600k @ 1.245V.

You need a cooler to move from stock. You need a cooler to have heavy load at stock too in my findings on quad cores. Though both stock fan profiles, you will see better temps stock speed with the Intel cooler than the 212 EVO.

Max OC should be on the order of 6.372GHz (59*108), but you will never reach that high. Try for 4.2-4.5GHz and watch your temps under load.

Also, what motherboard do you have? That will make a difference on how well you can overclock.

wolfeking

banned
That board should OC just fine. Try running 42 multi right off and see if it is stable. If not, then bump voltage by the smallest amount until it is stable. My 2600k does 44 @ stock volts, so you may be able to do 42.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Max OC should be on the order of 6.372GHz (59*108), but you will never reach that high. Try for 4.2-4.5GHz and watch your temps under load.

Also, what motherboard do you have? That will make a difference on how well you can overclock.

Want to know if anyone actually reach that ;P. I think the voltage will slay it when going over 1.6v or so. It would need 1.6v when it reaches only 5.6ghz I think. XD and doubt it would be stable...

Last edited by a moderator:

wolfeking

banned
1. LN2 and LO2 will do 6+ GHz on a good board anyday.

That is about the max you can go. Not the max you can do on air. 1.5V is the most you want to do on air at all. Really better to stay below 1.4V.

And please fix the quote tags.

wolfeking

banned
it speeds up the processor. I would not say that it allows you to run more programs as the thread count stays the same, and modern processors can run dozens of programs on one core/thread really easily.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Okay. Does OC'ing allow me to run more programs efficiently at the same time?

It will increase your speed when running one program and multiple programs.
But what really helps to run more programs at the same time is the quantity of threads.
But as far I know an i5 3570k is pretty strong multithreaded.

Jamebonds1

There isn't much risk if just overclock to 4 GHz with your Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, but with stock cooler is high risk and can overheat. Before you overclock, you will want to use EasyTune or BIOS to change speed RPM fan. Make 100% speed to 20C on graph.

1. Don't get that cooler. Get the 212 EVO instead. Its fan is better and will move more air. Be warned though, that with every board I have tested you have to manually set the fan speed higher for better cooling. It goes to 90*C + before it moves off 500 RPM. At 1650RPM (max setting) it will hold temps at 60* load just fine with a 2600k @ 1.245V.

Agree with Wolfeking. Be noticed, sometime coolermaster will make noise if RPM is too much high.