What area of IT should I go?

amagab

I know this is really not a question for you guys to answer but I'd like some input. I've been in technical support now for a while and although I really like it I think it's time to move on to something focused on a specific area of knowledge. The reason I'm good at tech support is that I'm good with people but I do like to work by myself most of the time. I'm not very technical and hate most programming. What area of IT would you recommend I go into?

Thanks!

God

I would also say Networking, or atleast thats where I would work towards if I was in that kind of study.

tomb08uk

Yes...I work for a ISP in a NOC and comms is where alot of it lies and where the money is...though it really isnt something your going to just walk into...best way is getting into the environment with a lower requirement job and then learn as you work..

tomb08uk

Also you need to be confident at the level they require as if something like a core router or switch fails you need to know what your doing. As for example if a router failed, it could be 1000s of customers effected and alot of ISP for business especially have agreements where if their connectivity is down for a number of hours then the ISP will rebate them so can cost big time if its not up.

amagab

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your input. Networking has always interested me but when I talk once talked to a network admin it seemed very complex. Where would you recommend I start? Taking classes or getting a job at an ISP? Books? What part of networking should I start with?

tomb08uk

Its hard to say, its something you need to explore yourself. Best to start by gettig into an IT environment and the slowly build on your knowledge and understanding.

codeman0013

Not necessarily the most money i have cisco certification and also microsoft certification and dell certification and dont get paid very well at all... Oh yea i'm a network admin II and make less then 40k usd if you were curious... but in my town there is such a flood if it people they pay younger people less...