What cable do I need?

moundtown

What cable do I need to install a second hard drive (Samsung HD103SJ 1000GB Sata II) into a Dell Optiplex 780 computer?

strollin

You need 2 cables, a power cable from your power supply to the drive and a SATA data cable from a port on your motherboard to the drive.

Intel_man

VIP Member
You would want to at the very least get a SATA 2 cable, but for the sake of being able to reuse it in a future build, you should get a SATA 3 cable. All the SATA cables should be compatible with one another, but SATA 3 when used on motherboards with SATA 3 controllers allow for higher bandwidth throughput and doesn't cost much money.

The one you linked doesn't specify which SATA standard it follows, so I'd be hesitant to buy it from that seller.

moundtown

You would want to at the very least get a SATA 2 cable, but for the sake of being able to reuse it in a future build, you should get a SATA 3 cable. All the SATA cables should be compatible with one another, but SATA 3 when used on motherboards with SATA 3 controllers allow for higher bandwidth throughput and doesn't cost much money.

The one you linked doesn't specify which SATA standard it follows, so I'd be hesitant to buy it from that seller.
That is very helpful information, thank you. Do you think this cable would do the job https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-x-SA...121276?hash=item1f068144fc:g:1uMAAOSwVkBd24f2

Intel_man

VIP Member
I don't see why not. Make sure where the harddrive is located in the case, the right angle plug fits either where the cable is plugged into the motherboard or where it is plugged into the harddrive.

If neither of them appears to fit either due to space constraints or other things in they way, you should look into sata cables that have straight plugs on both ends.