What can I build for $1300US

Kuli24

What is the best possible computer (without monitor) I can build for $1300US shipped and with tax included?
What I was thinking was an

athlon 64 1.8ghz (hopefully can overclock good)
don't know which mobo
nvidia 7800gt
1gb ram
200gb hard drive
antec super lanboy case
520w power supply
dvd drive
card reader

Is there anything you would change? or a totally different setup?

i.Angel

That's not too bad of a setup... but you need a faster CPU.. but 1300 can buy you a pretty decent computer... How much do you want to spend on a mobo? do you want to SLi in the future?

Xycron

banned
Kuli24 said:
i probably won't sli in the future, just buy better single cards.
Why not? you could hey a sli mobo and get a good card now, then later one get that same card and it'll be cheaper then buying a good card in the future.

i.Angel

Actually, he has a point. SLi does increase your frame rate, but not a big enough difference for some people to go buy another $450-500 GPU.

Kuli24

k, I was thinking of getting a single 1 gig memory stick so I can upgrade in the future. Also, would SLI 7800gs (when they come out) be a better deal than single 7800gt? Also, would I be able to overclock my 1.8ghz to a 2.6? (I want at least 2.6ghz for gaming)

Jon Boy

Well I would say no you could not OC that much, the gap sounds too great. But im not experienced in overclocking so ask this lot. And if you want any chance in hell of OC that much, you cant be running a stock fan you need something special.

bigsaucybob

dont bother getting sli now because a 7800gt will play all the games just fine and when u need to upgrade get another 7800gt. and go with 2 sticks of 512mb because u can eventually get another 2 sticks and the 2 u get now will work in dual channel.

Kuli24

Thanks for all your help guys. Here is what I ended up ordering:

DFI LANParty UT NF4 ULTRA-D Motherboard ATX S939 NFORCE4 Ultra DDR 2PCI-E16 SATA RAID Sound LAN 1394

AMB Athlon 64 3000+ Processor S939 Venice 1.8GHZ 512K L2 Cache 90NM

EVGA E-GEFORCE 7800GT CO 470MHZ PCI-E 256MB 256BIT GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDTV VIVO SLI Ready Video Card

Kingston ValueRAM PC3200 2GB 2x1GB DDR400 CL3-3-3 184PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit

ANTEC SUPER LANBOY CASE ALUMINUM W/WINDOW

LITEON Black 16x DVD-ROM INT E-IDE OEM W/SW DVD PLAYER

Mitsumi FA405M 13-IN-1 Flash Reader CF/SM/SD/MMC/MS Black

SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5IN FLOPPY DRIVE

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB SATA W/NCQ 7200RPM 8MB 11MS Hard Drive 5 Year MFR Warrenty

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OEM

OCZ OCZ52012U-520W Modstream Power Supply PCI-E Ready W/Ezmod Cable System & Blue LED Ran

JFlo

What was the total?

Kuli24 said:
Thanks for all your help guys. Here is what I ended up ordering:

AMB Athlon 64 3000+ Processor S939 Venice 1.8GHZ 512K L2 Cache 90NM
only bad part i see in ur comp well not bad but not up to par considering the ot her stuff you bought

Kuli24

Yeah, processor is probably the weakest link, but I am planning on possibly overclocking 1.8 to 2.2 or maybe even up to 2.4 or 2.5 if possible. Once dual core processors come down in price, I think I'll snag one of those.

Jon Boy

Kuli24 said:
Yeah, processor is probably the weakest link, but I am planning on possibly overclocking 1.8 to 2.2 or maybe even up to 2.4 or 2.5 if possible. Once dual core processors come down in price, I think I'll snag one of those.

I know nothing about OC realy. But im very sure you will never get a 38% increase in mhz of a processor, especialy a AMD. Pentiums are more overclockable in total mhz than AMDs and im pretty sure you would struggle OC one of those that much. (I getting this from what I read on the OC 101 about 3 months aggo). So someone correct e if im wrong.

Can I ask, what was the total cost of that system in the end ? ? ?