What can I do to upgrade my computer to play better games?

William Norman

Good morning all,

So I've recently bought my first gaming computer offline and I'll admit, I'm not the best with the nity-gritty stuff behind the scenes in computers. So, I was wondering if anyone can help me and mention some things I could upgrade to make my computer run games smoother and faster. See, the specs I have on my computer run some games extremely well like Call of Duty Modern Warfare or Borderlands 2 which runs flawlessly or pretty good and looks gorgeous or at least decent, but then other games like Subnautica or Dead Rising 2 are extremely laggy and don't have a very good frame rate at all.

I'm willing to spend a few hundred dollars upgrading whatever ya'll suggest, but thanks again ahead of time for the suggestions!

Here are my specs:
Processor: AMD A6-6400K APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.90GHz
RAM: 8GB
64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

AMD Radeon R7 350
Approx. Total Memory: 8143MB
Direct X 12

I hope this is all the information you need. Thanks ahead of time,

William '

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Really don't want an FM2 socket for gaming. Would need to go what motherboard you have so we can get you a better processor. You would also need a better video card and psu. So technically if you just bought this,it was a bad idea. Now you'll have to sink some money into it to get it working correctly. So get us the following info and we can help better.

1. What motherboard do you have?
2. What power supply do you have?
3. Is that 1 or 2 sticks of memory?

beers

Staff member
That APU is pretty low end. Dual core, fairly anemic iGPU. The R7 350 isn't particularly fast either.

Realistically you'd need to upgrade just about everything. I'd start with CPU/MB/RAM.

You might be able to find a used quad core APU/CPU for those like the 6800K, although they're generally >$50 on eBay or similar.

G.Glosser

I would get a difderent core then an amd heck even an icore 5 is better and I would get a type of g force graphics card and what type of cooling system do you have?