What can I improve about my setup?

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yea unfortunately that's normally the case as it depends on how much room you have to work with, what you want to do visually in certain angles. A lot of that's quite hard to visualize over words and even photos.

If you are planning on mounting the powerbrick on the side/back of the table somewhere, you could try using the 3m mounting tape (double sided stuff of course). That adhesive is very strong.

You could even fabricate rigid metal piping to fit your needs with the use of electrical elbow boxes and what not. But that's really a lot of work and custom work. Nothing off the shelf of course.

eli573

Plug in a few more surge protectors and 3-way adapters, and when there is a few sparks and you blow a breaker, plug in at least 15 more. Seriously though, try to find a way to use zip ties or parts of tubing like previously mentioned, that was a good idea. I'd get a desk lamp that hangs over a small work space, and other stuff for desk work, but that's just me, as I only have one desk. For stuff that trails from underneath the desk, if you ever chose to put your computer underneath your desk, stuff like headphones, or USB mice, or other stuff with reasonably thin cords, you could do something involving binder clips or something along those lines.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Something along the lines of this. You can use different size binder clips depending on the thickness and amount of cables you want to organize.

iLhVX.jpg

Agent Smith

My 5.1 THX certified speakers are nice. Especially hearing your enemy from behind you, etc. Are those speakers made of rare earth magnets?

eli573

How would I use binder clips can you explain?
I was thinking like attaching the plastic to underneath the desk at the edge and putting thin cables like a phone charger or 3.5mm headphones through the metal loops. Might not be the prettiest solution though.

mistersprinkles

I've been looking at cable management supplies on newegg. It's going to be expensive to get everything surgically clean but I think it might just be worth it.

mistersprinkles

Again, with the pieces of tubing and the binder clips. No need to buy anything, let alone expensive things.

I think binder clips will look quite ghetto. The tubing I'm all for but I think I want a box for my cables and power bar and some tubing and some kind of suspension system to run everything under the desk.

Darren

Staff member
Lol this thread just makes me want to post my "cable management" so you all can cringe.

eli573

I won't post mine, it looks like Cousin It meets phone line, coax, composite/component, and-- Hey! I found my AUX cord!
(Edit: It's a fire hazard, but a good portion of it is unplugged, so all is well.)

Agent Smith

That's nothing. With my radio gear added to all my other crap on the desk it looks like a tech-Medusa. I have an isobar surge protector for it all.

eli573

That's nothing. With my radio gear added to all my other crap on the desk it looks like a tech-Medusa. I have an isobar surge protector for it all.
But mine is twice the size of a football, with protruding wires from every angle, and because it is a somewhat round object, it has a fraction of infinite wires protruding from it.

mistersprinkles

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1B4-0002-00004

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...re=cable_management-_-12-196-573CVF-_-Product

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...cm_re=cable_management-_-99-996-109-_-Product

This is what I'm thinking of getting at this point. What kind of glue could I use to attatch the box to the underside of my desk? I know from my aquarium days that Mr. Sticky's underwater glue will work (could lift a car with that stuff) but is there anything AFFORDABLE that'll work? Bottom of the desk is a textured unfinished cardboardy type material. It is IKEA...

I got some nice art on metal plates from displate.com. Some Mass Effect/ BTTF/ Star Trek action. I like those things.

15975263_10154340597832921_4670989559908617473_o.jpg

Last edited: