What causes desktop to start up itself weeks after shutdown?

johnnyb58

My HP desktop just starts up completely on its own after being shutdown for weeks. I’ve been using my laptop for a while because its faster starting up and it gets cold where my Desktop is located so I shut it down and turned off the monitor to save power.
One time I turned on the monitor to see what was going on and it was updating, another time is was beeping because the mouse pointer was in the wrong place. The other couple of times it wasn't just on for no visible reason.

johnnyb58

That's not really a thing unless you have a bunch of malware or something.

Would check ACPI settings for power-on in BIOS in addition to AV.
Thanks, I forgot about the power set to come on after a power failure because I had to set my computers like that at my work, but you just reminded me that there was another setting to turn on the computer through the network port. I did that once years ago when I wanted to connected to a computer that was shutdown with my extra files. I use WIFI now and didn't think that would work. I wonder if something is accessing my desktop through the network.

Thanks, I forgot about the power set to come on after a power failure because I had to set my computers like that at my work, but you just reminded me that there was another setting to turn on the computer through the network port. I did that once years ago when I wanted to connected to a computer that was shutdown with my extra files. I use WIFI now and didn't think that would work. I wonder if something is accessing my desktop through the network.
check to see what is connected to your network
see if there are any unauthorised connections

johnnyb58

check to see what is connected to your network
see if there are any unauthorised connections
Thanks, I’m still looking. I let a young neighbor girl use my WIFI to do her school work during the pandemic, but I believe they got their own internet service now. They were connected to the router WIFI and I’m not sure if that alone allows them access to my computer, but it might turn on the computer to check access.