What causes the drastic slow down of the boot drive?

ssal

This is my buddy's computer.

He said, starting this week, his computer slows to a snail crawl. Every click on anything, Firefox, Chrome, Photoshop, email, etc. would take minutes to launch, if it launched at all. Some program, like Photoshop would said some corrupted file and would not open.

I took the computer to my house and confirmed it is indeed the case and very very slow. I tried launching Malwarebytes to check for virus infection but it would not launch at all. The cursor spinned a while and then nothing happened.

I had done the Macrium imaging of the boot drive for him a while back. I was able to boot it up with the boot USB and restore from the image. Then it's fixed.

I am pretty sure it was a virus attack that caused that. Do you have any idea what it was and how it got there?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Hard telling at this point. No scans were done, hard drive might be failing. You have a list of system specs?

ssal

Hard telling at this point. No scans were done, hard drive might be failing. You have a list of system specs?
It's a 6+ year old Dell XPS tower with a 256gb SSD.

The machines was very very slow before the restore. Now it works normally.

Would a failed SSD show this kind of symptom?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Would a failed SSD show this kind of symptom?
Well obviously its probably not a failing SSD or there would be issues after the reimaging. Windows could have also just been corrupted, bad windows update perhaps or malware but as I said, with no scans done, its hard to tell.

ssal

Well obviously its probably not a failing SSD or there would be issues after the reimaging. Windows could have also just been corrupted, bad windows update perhaps or malware but as I said, with no scans done, its hard to tell.
I tried Malwarebyte but it would not launch. Seemed like the virus disable it.

ssal

reinstall the os see if that helps, there is an option in windows 10 to keep your files
I don't like the whole idea of reinstalling Windows because that means all the other programs have to be reinstalled and updated too. A very long and tedious task.

A few years ago I discovered Macrium and I have been using it to make image of the OS and program partition. Whenever I have situation like this, I'd just reimage the partition from the image.

I religiously run Macrium imaging every week.