What cooler do i need

Telhma

Hello all, this is my first post here att the forum. so i gonna also explain a little what for my computer is needed :)

I am a photographer, and my computer is needed to do heavy rendering, no 3D rendering, so the GPU is not dooing hard work while i am rendering, but my CPU renders for hours att 100%

So, because i have to wait and wait, i decided to upgrade my CPU. I looked a bit around on the internet, and i saw that the X99 chipset was out. I have no clue what it all means, but i saw i needed to replace my ram to get that chipset. together with a 70 dolar more expensive CPU, and a 100 dolar more epensive motherboard, i will have to pay at least 350 dolar more for that in stead of a z97 motherboard, and i decided, that that is not realy worth the extra performance i will get.

So, i decided to buy the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 together with the intell i7-4790k processor. but, in that intell box, there is no cooler, i can use the one i have now from my i5 processor, but, i think it will be not strong enough :) So, I have to buy a new CPU-cooler.

Okej, I am not realy a computer expert, but i will not exclude i may try to overclock the processor if the performance is not yet realy what i want, and if a overclock can save me again some minutes of rendering.

So, here is my question: what cooler do i need for this processor that allows me to overclock the CPU?

I was thinking about a Noctua NH-D15, but i am scared it does not make me close my case annymore due the size of the thing, or that the wight will kill my motherboard. does somebody have experience with this cooler??

If i not go for that Noctua NH-D15, what is a other option, I love a quiet pc, but, i can replace the fans of other coolers with Noctua fans if i want. I think watercooling is no option, because i have a solid top at my case, so there is no option to put a radiator at the top of my case.

I hope somebody can help me out a little.

Greetings

Jiniix

I have the D14, and it doesn't stress the motherboard really. It's got really sturdy mounting. The D15 is more forgiving, but you should watch out for your RAM. It can't be too tall. And I'm also fairly sure it blocks off the first PCI lane, but that won't be a problem with GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, as the first lane is not the GPU lane.

speedx77x

I have a D15, had for almost 3 months now, and my motherboard is just fine. They real issue is the RAM. You can raise the fan a bit to support taller RAM, but it wont support everything.

So, what RAM do you have?

tylerjrb

It depends what your looking for the best air cooler you can get is the noctua dh14 or 15. It's massive and I'd check first you can get the RAM in. A better option is something like a corsair h100i, all in one water cooler. It's a much smaller better looking unit with slightly better performance than the noctua dh14/15. And won't be affected by what RAM you get. Although firstly check your case can support the 240mm radiator if not you can always modify it or upgrade it. The dh14/15 are around £70 and the h100i is around £80.

Id make sure your case is compatible with the dh15 as it is pretty huge a stock pc case will not do. What case do you have?

Last edited:

goranpaa

Another solution would be the CoolerMaster Hyper EVO 212. The original 120 mm fan are good when it comes to noise levels. But if you are really picky like me? :) You can get a Noctua for it instead or add one for a push - pull configuration. The cooler itself is fairly lightweight and seems to fit with most kind of RAM heatsinks. My Corsair Vengence low profile have the same kind of RAM, heatsinks as the Kingston btw. So this kind of RAM will work with any kind of cooler.

Last edited:

Jiniix

I have pretty much the same RAM in my system with the D14, and it fits alright. You just want RAM that's no taller than the PCB itself.

Telhma

Hello all, thanks for the information. I went with the corsair H105 because i will transport my pc soon to a other house i gonna live in, and i am not realy confidence to do that with the weight of a D15 on it.

So, in fact i wanted to go with the H100i like tylerjrb told me to do. But the dealer here in the store said, NO NO NO NO, it does not work on your motherboard. I said, are you sure, because i got the advice to do that, and again he said. YES YES YES, it does not fit your motherboard, you need the 105. So, i took that one, i hope it's also a good one.

The best thing is, I come home, check the corsair webpage, and guess what i see. I works on a 1150 motherboard. Pffff, that's the second time my dealer fools me, i wish i had a smarter guy in this area. but well...

in about a week my cooler will be here, and then i can start to build my first own costomized computer :D

well, if i can find a sweet case that look stylish :p because untill now, i only saw cases with good airflow that looks like some kind of transformer sits on your desk :p

so, thanks for the help all. i will keep you up to date with how my pc build will go :)

tylerjrb

the guy who told you that haha. The corsair h100i and h105 and pretty much identicle just the h105 has a slightly thicker radiator, slightly thinner pipes and different looking pump block.

but all have the same CPU socket mounting plates. To be honest both are pretty much of the same performance and both look good so its all about preference on which you like best. both run on corsair link software too so you can adjust the fans to suit noise levels etc.

also it comes with a good set of fans but you can swap them out for corsair sp 120 high performance edition or if your after something quieter you can get quiet edition ones too.

if you go for a case something along the corsair series are good something like a 450d is very nice if your looking for something tidy and not looking like a fighter jet. and it fits the h105.

Last edited:

Telhma

I realy like that case !!! pitty it's not white :p

but... I looked for information about the case, and the radiator of the 105 seems to be to tick to fit in the top of that case :(

greets

edit, oh, it seems to be with some motherboards, have no clue if that will include mine :confused:

Last edited:

tylerjrb

I realy like that case !!! pitty it's not white :p

but... I looked for information about the case, and the radiator of the 105 seems to be to tick to fit in the top of that case :(

greets

have a look at all the cases in the corsair obsidian range and see what fits your budget. i mean you can get a corsair 550d, 650d, 750d etc if fitting is something your concerned with.