What CPU should I build?

BigRieg

I will be attending 'Game and Simulation Programming' at DeVry, and need a good computer that will not only get me through school, but actually build a few test games and/or programs that would be marketable. Here is what I've come up with so far, but is it all necessary, or is it not enough? This computer, with obvious fillers(ie., case, power, etc) runs about $1600. A little spendy but my financial aid budget is $2000, but I need SOME extra money left over. :)

-Intel Core i7 Processor 920 (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

-MSI X58 Platinum Intel X58 CrossFire Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-E MB

-NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 512MB

-LG GGC-H20L BLU-RAY Reader & DVD±R/±RW Burner Internal Combo Drive

-20"-22" Widescreen TFT LCD Monitor Support up to 1080P with HDCP
(not sure of brand yet)

-Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

-3-6GB memory, unsure....

All open to change!
Help! I need some opinions and advice please! also I've been all around: ibuypower.com, cyberpowerpc.com, dell.com, and many others. What place is best for custom built computers?

narsnail

I will be attending 'Game and Simulation Programming' at DeVry, and need a good computer that will not only get me through school, but actually build a few test games and/or programs that would be marketable. Here is what I've come up with so far, but is it all necessary, or is it not enough? This computer, with obvious fillers(ie., case, power, etc) runs about $1600. A little spendy but my financial aid budget is $2000, but I need SOME extra money left over. :)

-Intel Core i7 Processor 920 (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

-MSI X58 Platinum Intel X58 CrossFire Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-E MB

-NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 512MB

-LG GGC-H20L BLU-RAY Reader & DVD±R/±RW Burner Internal Combo Drive

-20"-22" Widescreen TFT LCD Monitor Support up to 1080P with HDCP
(not sure of brand yet)

-Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

-3-6GB memory, unsure....

All open to change!
Help! I need some opinions and advice please! also I've been all around: ibuypower.com, cyberpowerpc.com, dell.com, and many others. What place is best for custom built computers?

Nice setup, try and go for 3, 1024mb sticks off DDR3 so you can triple channel the ram.

Also buying the parts yourself and building yourself will save you alot of money, as opposed to getting it done for you, not to mention you will get a superior build as to what they could have offered at the same price point.

BigRieg

so, what are the basics that I need for what I'll be using it for? also, if I bought everything and built it myself, how do you put a chip onto a MO? solder, or what? I know how to plug and mount everything, I think, but my experience involves adding drives and hard drives only.