What degree should I go for

What's more preferred by jobs in the technology industry.

• Degrees

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Certifications

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DizzyDez34

I am a few months out from the end of my military contract and I want to go to school. I want to learn how computers work inside and out but my main interest is the physical hardware. I want to know how to build a computer and what parts do what. im just not exactly sure what degree that would fall under. I have no experience in these fields so I'd be starting from the bottom. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

lincsman

All I can suggest is, watch youtube videos, as in instructional videos. For example, a video on how to install a motherboard. But in reality, there's a lot to learn. Just ask around and watch videos and eventually you will learn, but on this forum you're going to have to ask specific questions. I'm a certified technician so I'll give you a start.
Processor (CPU): handles all the calculations, instructions and processes all the information. If you are building a computer, this is one of the most important parts to sink your money into
RAM: stands for "random access memory." This is where information is temporarily stored, because taking it right from the hard drive would be so slow. So the computer loads it into the RAM, so that it can access it very quickly. When you open a program, it loads it onto the RAM, and then when you close the program, it erases it
Hard Drive (or solid state drive): This is where everything is permanently stored unless deleted. So all of your programs, pictures, videos etc. are all stored onto the hard drive, or these days people have solid state drives as well. A solid state drive is chip memory as apposed to the magnetic discs of a hard drive, which is much faster and more reliable.
Motherboard: Well, this is the main board that everything goes onto. The processor, RAM, hard drive, power supply, everything goes through the motherboard except for some individual plugs giving components power.
Power supply: This is the adapter that converts electricity from AC power to DC, and has several cords made specifically for certain components.
Video card: Some motherboards have what is called "onboard video" which is a video card built into the motherboard. This works excellent as a way to save money, and is a great backup if the dedicated video card fails. However the performance of onboard graphics is much, much lower than a dedicated video card, which is an entire component added to the computer. This handles everything to do with video, without this there is no way to even get an image onto the screen. To get high performance, you would want to get a mid to high end dedicated video card, as in the GTX 1050 or GTX 1070, and for the higher end video cards you will want and need a hefty power supply

Ok, so if you are looking to build, first and most of all, for the little bit of extra money to spend getting it, I recommend getting a more powerful power supply than you need. If you add components, or overclock, it demands more power. Personally I have a 700W power supply, which is much more than I need. However I prefer that because this way I don't have to worry about any issues to do with not enough power. Not enough power can cause a fire, have your system shut down on you, and ruin components. So I can't stress enough getting a more powerful PSU (power supply unit) than you need.

Secondly, you will want to put major priority on the motherboard. Each motherboard only supports certain processors, so in order to upgrade processors down the road you often have to replace the CPU and motherboard. In those cases, people tend to just buy a whole new computer. So for future proofing, I recommend spending more money on this which is difficult to upgrade, so that your system lasts a long time and gives you desired performance.

Thirdly, as I mentioned, the CPU (central processing unit) is something that costs a lot and is hard to upgrade, so I suggest if you want your system to last a long time, make sure to get a good CPU or processor. Generally Intel has higher performance, but costs a lot more. AMD is right behind in performance, and in some functions actually performs better because AMD processors tend to have more raw power, where as Intel has more advanced technology in their chips and a bit less actual raw power. Intel processors also run a lot cooler, so if you get a high end AMD processor like the Ryzen series and want to overclock it, you would probably need water cooling from what I have heard. Intel tends to just run cooler. Generally AMD chips tend to have more room to overclock.
Overclocking means increasing the speed (GHZ) faster than it came with. This is something you would want to really know what you are doing before changing such settings on your computer. Overclocking improperly can permanently damage your system, but if done right pushes a lot more performance out of your computer.

With RAM, the minimal you would want to build with is 8GB. I suggest getting at least 16GB, as many games and programs don't run as well on 8GB. For gaming, 16GB is all you need for now, but I suggest getting a motherboard that can handle upgrading that as down the road you may need up to 32GB. Also when it comes to type, it makes a huge difference. Any high end system these days uses DDR4 as apposed to the old DDR3. DDR means double data rate. So DDR3 is essentially double data rate times 3, and so on. You might think RAM is just RAM, but there are different speeds and types. It does make a difference as to what kind you get. You would notice much better performance with higher end speeds and types. For example, I have what is called Kingston Hyper X Fury RAM, and with the double data rate, clocks in at 4 GHZ. Even with the name and the speed, you can probably tell that this performs a lot better than just plain old "generic" RAM.

As for video card, most people prefer Nvidia, but some like AMD. Basically it's the same idea as their processors. You will get more raw power out of AMD video cards for a lower price, but that doesn't always mean better performance. Also the software with Nvidia I think is easier to use, and you can also use it to easily record your video games. It is easily compatible with VR (virtual reality) glasses as well. If you are building, I would personally suggest a 10 series Nvidia card. According to my research, MSI is the brand that is built better, and also has good customer service from what I've heard. Asus is very good too, but I've heard bad stories about their manufacture warranty. So essentially, the GTX 1050 is good for casual gaming, and performs quite well enough. Personally I have a 6GB GTX 1060, and except for Nier Automata, has ran every game on max 1080p settings around 60 frames per second or higher. In other words for right now, with 1080p, the GTX 1060 6GB is ample, but might only be great for so long. The GTX 1070 is what I would have gotten if I had the money at the time for 1080p. It is overkill right now, but still some games would run better and in the future the 1070 for 1080p gaming will last a long time. It can do 2k gaming well. The GTX 1080 ti is what I would recommend if you want high settings at 2k or 4k. Anything lower, and you will have to lower your graphics settings from what I have heard. In other words, if you have lots of money and want to game at 4k, the GTX 1080 ti is what you would want to get.

So, there is a little start, essentially if you want to jump into building properly, there's a lot to learn. Don't be shy to google anything, and as I mentioned there are many videos on YouTube as well. Hope this helps.