what did I break

way2evil

I messed something up big time. When I press the power button on my computer it goes on for a second then shuts right off. I plugged in a card reader to a USB header and I think that broke it. Did I short my motherboard?

brian

VIP Member
try resetting the bios. easest and for sure method is open your computer. find the silver cell battery, remove the power cord, wait 10 sec, remove the battery, wait 1 min, put the battery back in, and try agian

way2evil

no idea, since I did that it won't start. It uses only the power that is given by the Mobo so maybe it shorted the board

way2evil

try resetting the bios. easest and for sure method is open your computer. find the silver cell battery, remove the power cord, wait 10 sec, remove the battery, wait 1 min, put the battery back in, and try agian

that was the first thing I tried

brian

VIP Member
well the computer may not get enough power so it trys to turn on but fails. It it possable the MB fryed but it is not easy to do

Manauffeuer

mabe the heatsink fan failed cuz even though there is no fan it can still be on with the sink but with no fan it won't properly dispert the heat

way2evil

its partly fixed, I unplugged my floppy drive and now it boots. It goes to post and says CMOS checksum error defaults loaded. I removed the CMOS battery and moved the jumper a pin to the right but still no go.

Vizy

its partly fixed, I unplugged my floppy drive and now it boots. It goes to post and says CMOS checksum error defaults loaded. I removed the CMOS battery and moved the jumper a pin to the right but still no go.

cmos chksum error happends when u reset the bios usually. it can be a bad power supply. try taking off the heatsink and dustin it out a lil.

Smashkirby

Check out the cpu fan. Is it on correctly? If it fell off then the cpu overheats and goes into a critical state, therefore turning the computer off before any permanent damege is done. That might be the problem.

elitehacker

As long as there is no smoke there is hope. :D Just unplug it and regroup. unplug all unessential hardware, so only have the motherboard CPU, RAM and video connected to the PSU and power it on. You just want to see if it POSTs, if it does, then all is well, if it doesn't, well........it could be your motherboard that's fried.

ceewi1

VIP Member
Please don't quote this material, and please delete that quote, or else it may be left over when a Super Mod or Admin deletes all his posts.