What did i fry?

linkin

VIP Member
Okay, last night i decided to show my dad my soundcard, seeing as he thought my computer sounded good compared to other's he had heard. I took it out after grounding myself, showed him, and put it back in. I also decided to get a little dust off the mobo, and redo some PSU cables (SATA, 24-pin and molex)

Now it won't turn on. I plug thepower cable on, flick the switch. the little green led on the mobo usually lights up after that, now there's nothing. I tried redoing all connections, trying to run on minimal hardware.

I think i did the PSU somehow. Can you guys tell straight up if it's the mobo or PSU? If it's the PSU i cn get a ocz stealthxstream 500w to use for a while.

In the end i was going to replace both, but not right now. I've got my 5770 arriving today and i can't use it :(
 
RAM is in properly. i reseated both sticks to be sure. The light on the motherboard that indicated power isn't working, which leads me to think it was the mobo or PSU.

gotta go in a minute, i'll be back later today. give me some ideas while i'm gone!
 
Well i got my 5770 today, too bad i can't power up my system. I guess I'll go buy that thermaltake PSU unless anyone can link me to a better one.
 
If I were you I would disconnect and reconnect all the cords in your system. It is possible you disconnected something while your desktop computer was opened. Also make sure the power supply switch in the back is switched to the on position.
 
yeah. i took the whole PSU out 3 times, checked it for anything i could see and that electrical burning smell you get when one dies. none of those, tried the 24 pin, 4/8 pin and everything else i had plugged it.

Whether its the mobo or psu is still up in the air... i bought a 600w thermaltake to save some cash, and it still has the same specs and cables as the 700w (apart from wattage). Hopefully that will arrive this week.

If worst comes to worst i'll get a new mobo which i "need" anyway.
 
Probably. I'd have to short the 24-pin mobo connector wouldn't I? I've got a new psu in the mail so if that doesn't work i'll get a new mobo.

My dad has a hobby with audio stuff but he's a fully qualified eletriciton so he probably has the tools. thing is he doesn't have the time!
 
Back
Top