What do I look for when buying a Blu-Ray drive?

rammstein

I need it to be able to burn dvds as well. I also want it to be able to display the best image quality but I assume they all are the same?
And what is a decent price for a good Blu-ray player that burns dvds? I've looked at a few sites but I want to hear from people not stores.

spirit

Staff member
You look for the best price.

Most Bu-Ray RW drives are about £50 these days and I've not seen a Blu-Ray ROM in a little while but I paid about £40 or so for my Blu-Ray ROM in 2011 so I'd imagine they'd be cheaper now.

The best thing to do is look on a site like Newegg and see how expensive they are. They're usually all about the same price.

Bear in mind you will need software to play the Blu-Rays too. Some drives come with software (usually an old version of PowerDVD) but some don't so check that out too. You can buy the latest version of PowerDVD fairly cheaply from CyberLink's website but note that the older versions of PowerDVD which some of these drives ship with won't work on newer OSes like Windows 8/8.1 - see my experience here: http://www.computerforum.com/220266-free-blu-ray-playback-software.html

Last edited: