What do i need to look for in a case?

mikedeuk

I want to run a Nepton 140XL liquid cooler and Crossfire graphics (Raedon 7870), My only other requirement is USB 3.0 but i am on a budget.
I don't need loads of drive bays and im happy to get something a couple of years old from ebay if need be.

I will probably need full ATX, So what should i be looking for exactly?

Would the Zalman Z11 be any good for me?

C4C

Airflow, great reviews (quality), and how easy it is to build in.

Personally I vote for the Corsair 200R as a mid level case ($50-60) and it'll meet your requirments. Step up from there to the Fractal Design R4/R5 (~$100) in my opinion as they are asthetically pleasing and easy to work with. :)

The Zalman Z11 is a good case but I personally would skip right over it.

Agent Smith

For me it's looks, whether the HDDs pull out from the front and not sideways, USB 3.0 and if the CPU cooler has enough room to the door. Bought a CoolerMaster Storm Scout II myself. It's mid tower though. I can't throw a full tower on my desk since there's a hutch.

Oh! How the door opens is another factor.

mikedeuk

Airflow, great reviews (quality), and how easy it is to build in.

Personally I vote for the Corsair 200R as a mid level case ($50-60) and it'll meet your requirments. Step up from there to the Fractal Design R4/R5 (~$100) in my opinion as they are asthetically pleasing and easy to work with. :)

The Zalman Z11 is a good case but I personally would skip right over it.

Thanks, i'll look into these 2 cases now! ...But why skip the Z11? Is it because you dont like the styling as much a me?

You're going to be a bit tight on wattage with CFX on 500w.

I havn't got round to that side of things yet, but thanks for pointing it out! What would you suggest?
Earthwatts 650 any good?

C4C

Thanks, i'll look into these 2 cases now! ...But why skip the Z11? Is it because you dont like the styling as much a me?

It is a bit tacky, but cable management behind the motherboard tray is tough and the placement of USB/Audio ports is very awkward being on the top. Many people have had to forget about using them.

I also have experience building with those two cases as well as the NZXT Source 210 (a tight squeeze for cable management as well).

If it's not an issue you can go with the Z11 because after all, it is your build! :)

mikedeuk

I like the way the Z11 looks, and my system is down by my left shin so I think USB ports on top would be ideal however...
While the Fractal Design R4 looks about as interesting as a fart, Its really well made and the silent design would probably do me a favour!
I'll have to sell some stuff to afford it but I think i'll go for it!
Thanks guys

mikedeuk

Does anyone know if a nepton 280l will fit underneath the optical drive bays on the R5? Or will i need to go for the 240?

ninjabubbles3

DONT BUY THE Z11
I REPEAT: DO NOT BUY THE Z11
WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT BUY IT.

IT IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST CASE I HAVE EVER USED.

screaming aside, the cable management is absolutely horrid. There are no grommets, and mine was missing a standoff.

Also, there is no space for a rad on top, the motherboard uses up all the space. You also have to run the CPU power cable over the length of the motherboard, since there is no cutout on the top left.
It is also nigh impossible to pull the top off, it took me and a friend almost a good 45 minutes to do so.

However, I can't argue that the case doesn't look sweet as hell. The LEDs are a nice touch, and there are plenty of them.

I 100 percent agree with C4C to get a nice Fractal or Corsair case. Some of the best cases I have ever seen.