What do I need to upgrade to run smoothly in games?

mwahsun

Here are my specs:

- AMD Athlon 64 4000+ OC'd at 2.64Ghz
- 2GB RAM DDR
- Geforce 8500GT 256MB DDR

I am trying to run games like CoD4, and Spore at max settings with smooth gameplay.
If you can recommend me a replacement, I would really appreciate it as well. I'm relatively on a minimal budget.

reddevil6

depends on your price range 3870 would be a good choice u can get 1 of them for about $130 USD
an that would require a new PSU probably u need a 500W with 26A minimum for a 3870

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Radeon 4850, if possible, it's worth it. If you can't afford it, look into 9600/8800s from NVIDIA,, you can find those pretty cheap.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
his CPU would hold a 4850 back a bit
True, but it would still show a significant improvement over the 8500GT.

@OP - what socket CPU is it? If you don't know, download CPU-Z, it tells you. If it's AM2, you can get a CPU that destroys your current one cheap.

Oh but wait, AFAIK all socket AM2 CPUs use DDR2 RAM, you have DDR. Chances are you have socket 939, but find out anyways just to make sure.

A new graphics card is pretty much a must, yes, your CPU would hold back a 4850, maybe even an 8800/9600 but regardless as I said any of those cards will give a significant performance increase, a 4850 would last you longer so you can reuse it when/if you decide to get a new rig.

scooter

banned
well you already have a pretty descent specs...

but I guess playing games at max graphic settings is another experience...

Yeah, 2002 was a hell of a year for computers! LOL

I would also recommend a new video card, and dependant on your choice--a new power supply.

What kind of range in price do you have to spend.?