What do you call this?

ChrisDVD

Hello. I dont know how you call this, i iwll try to describe it my best .

It is something you plug into the PC' and it receives signals form a
game remote/lazor mouse/lazor keybord. Its the thing that make sit possible for wireless stuff. like the receive ror somethin'. its that little thing, that you must have, to be able to get the signals form he remote....know what i am talking about???

Chris

magicman

VIP Member
Well actually it stands for Infrared, but I think it was just a typo. :p

It's basically a type of light that we can't see, that's why when you use a remote control you have to have a line of sight from remote to device.

ChrisDVD

ok, so if i get an IR Receiver, and plug it into out PC, then i will be able to get a remot, and it will work? (Remote like for movies)

Chris

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Actually most compute remotes/mice/keyboards/etc use RF now. It's the same basic idea, but doesn't require you to line up with the receiver thus giving you a much better range.

You can get remotes off newegg for about $20-$40, depending on the buttons and other features.

magicman

VIP Member
Well, you already know the principle of Infrared, the fact that it's a beam of invisible light. With RF (or Radio Frequency), it's radio waves, like the ones going to your radio, but designed to control the device it's used with. RF is better, like The_Other_One's said, as it doesn't require line-of-sight.

celsdogg

both are parts of the EM spectrum, or electromagnetic spectrum. in fact all light, sound, radio waves, etc are all part of it.

IR is infrared, like they said earlier, a type of light that we cant see. RF is radio frequency, part of the EM spectrum that none of our senses can detect, but being the bright people we are, we have made technology that can detect, transmit and receive, or otherwise use it. . .

magicman

VIP Member
spectrum.gif

ChrisDVD

ok, thx for telling these....now, which one would be quite better for me. Here is what i think.....

i need it to catch signals (or wathever stuff) from about 10 - 20 feet.
I will like it to have an USB connection. Can you guys show me some on the net? (so that i can have an idea). and again, like in all my post, budget is small ;)

Thx,

Chris