What do you think about this beast? (I know its a laptop..Sorry)

Feddy

GenTech PC
1420 E Cypress St
Covina, CA 91724
800-990-7945
System Configuration

Sager NP9150 NV GTX670M/GTX675M
Read more..
$2819.00
5/14/2012 7:37:25 AM
Description Price [+/-] from
base price
Availability:
In Stock and ready to ship/build 0.00
Shipping:
Free UPS Ground Shipping to Domestic US (Not Available to Alaska and Hawaii) 0.00
Screen:
15.6" 16:9 1920X1080 Full HD LED backlight Ultra Bright, 95% NTSC Color Gamut, Anti-Glare 95.00
Dead Pixel Warranty:
Standard Manufacturer Dead Pixel Warranty 0.00
Sager Logo:
Sager Logo on Screen Back Cover 0.00
HDMI:
HDMI 1.4, 60Hz/120Hz output 1080P, 3D Ready 0.00
DisplayPort Adapter:
None 0.00
Keyboard:
Illuminated Full Size Isolated Keyboard with Numeric Key Pad with W/A/S/D Gaming Keys (Color Swi... 0.00
Graphics Controller:
AMD Radeon HD 7970M 2GB GDDR5 DX11 (ETA: late May) 200.00
Processor:
3rd Gen Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7-3820QM, 2.7-3.7GHz, 22nm, 8MB, 45W 350.00
Thermal Compound:
IC Diamond 24 Carat Thermal Compound on both CPU/GPU 35.00
RAM:
16GB DDR3 1600/PC3 12800 Dual-Channel (4G X 4) 80.00
Primary Hard Drive:
240GB Intel Solid-State Drive 520 Series SATA III 6Gb/s 295.00
Optical Drive:
750GB Seagate Momentus XT 7200RPM 32MB, 8GB SSD Hybrid Drive, SATA III 6Gb/s in Optical Drive Bay 195.00
Options for Hard Drive in Optical Drive Bay:
None, Hard Drive in Optical Drive bay is selected 0.00
Hard Drive Caddy:
None 0.00
External Storage for backup/data transfer:
None 0.00
WiFi:
Bigfoot networks Killer?Wireless-N 1103 with three antenna 60.00
Networking:
None 0.00
Bluetooth:
None or Choose Wireless-N + Bluetooth Combo Card 0.00
USB 3.0:
3 USB 3.0 Ports 4.8 Gb/s 0.00
Webcam:
Built-in 2.0 MP Webcam 0.00
Headset:
None 0.00
Primary Battery:
One SMART LI-ION BATTERY PACK included 0.00
AC Adapter:
One AC Adapter included 0.00
Car Adapter:
None 0.00
Mouse:
None 0.00
Carrying Case:
None 0.00
Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 32/64 bit DVD 190.00
Microsoft Office Software:
None 0.00
Drivers Disk:
Drivers Disk Included 0.00
Warranty:
Life-time GenTech PC Labor Warranty / 1 Year Parts Warranty, Lifetime Toll-Free Technical Support 0.00
Support & Service:
Toll-Free (800) 741-2219 0.00
Packaging:
Shipping with Double Box 0.00
:)?

wolfeking

banned
It is a great example f the frugality of man. You will spend almost 3k on that now and be stuck with that forever or until you can sell it for a lot less. Laptops are not the realm for gaming.

If you want to spend 3K on a computer, get a desktop with CF7970s or SLI GTX 680s and a 3570k.

claptonman

If you absolutely need the portability and cannot get a desktop, that's pretty much one of the fastest 'tops out there.

Hyper-Threaded

Heres a example, my buddy paid $1500 for a corei7 laptop with 8 gigs of ram, I told him to get a desktop and he dident listen, and my computer below that costed overall $250 beat it in speed tests.

FuryRosewood

I....would like proof. What did this system of yours beat his at? If it had integrated graphics, I could see that, but that is not really saying much... I have a hard time believing a first gen or second gen i7 would be bested by a 3.3 Ghz Athlon ii x4.

Secondly, Sager can build a hell of a laptop, do not scoff at it, if i was in the market for a boutique gaming laptop, I would go with them, they are discrete, not flashy and get the job done.

Yes, Sager can make a laptop, but the specs were not all that great for $3000 laptop, you can genuinely get a better alienware for that price.

claptonman

I....would like proof. What did this system of yours beat his at? If it had integrated graphics, I could see that, but that is not really saying much... I have a hard time believing a first gen or second gen i7 would be bested by a 3.3 Ghz Athlon ii x4.

Secondly, Sager can build a hell of a laptop, do not scoff at it, if i was in the market for a boutique gaming laptop, I would go with them, they are discrete, not flashy and get the job done.

Keep in mind that it is a laptop CPU vs a desktop CPU. Take a look here:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Some of the older i7 mobile processors are around 4000 points, while athlons are ahead. Of course, depends on the model of i7 and what they used to test it with.

FuryRosewood

A mobile i7 740qm barely gets beat by a phenom ii 955 there, and i7 2670qm rapes a phenom ii 955 in passmark...your point is? (using a 955 as the closest direct comparison to a 3.3 Ghz Athlon ii x4 because that is a clocked chip iirc)

claptonman

My point is, just because it is an i7, doesn't mean it is going to beat everything out there. There are old chips they could have that are way slower than a phenom, such as:

Intel Core i7 620M @ 2.67GHz
Intel Core i7-2617M @ 1.50GHz
Intel Core i7 640M @ 2.80GHz

So again, pointless unless we know the exact model of i7 the friend has, and what program they used to test the "speed" of it at. I'm not saying he's right, I'm saying its not a far-fetched idea.

FuryRosewood

could be, may not be, depends on when this 1500 dollar laptop was bought, if it was bought in the last year, its very very likely that its a 2nd gen i7

Hyper-Threaded

He dosent know, he said dell with a i7 and 8gb ram,

Mine gets 32 speed score and his gets 25, it is not very accurate, im trying to convince him to use super pi that calculates pie to whatever digit that is selected, mine takes 23 seconds to calculate to the 1 millionth digit, but he wont do it. Also its a oem dell laptop, not a gaming laptop.

But the point is that a core i7 desktop is way faster than a core i7 laptop.

FuryRosewood

That common knowledge, however if his head is set on a laptop, and wants the portability, let him get the laptop. When people complain 'it wont be upgradable' How many people actually go from one chip to another without changing motherboards? Sure it will be expensive, but it is far easier to lug around a thing the size of a book, vs a few things the size of a small bookshelf.

-just realized he already had it, so eh, still most points still stand.

also laptops may throttle when on battery, so plugging it in may change that score around a bit...

-yea, fiddling with my desktops power management just in windows was able to boost my score by one point or two, id say for something that gives a rough estimate of what the machine can do in numbers that can be compared, use this: http://release.crystaldew.info/CrystalMark2004

CrystalMark%20FuryRosewood%20051412.png

Which ive used since i was running a 4000+ and 1 gig ram, and it does scale, though with certain scenerios it gives very weird figures on gpu, sometimes not making sense at all, espically with ati cards...

Last edited: