What do you use to test your overlocking?

linkin

VIP Member
I'm a newb at overclocking, so which program/s do you use to test performance and stability? I would also like to test the stability of my graphics card once overclocked.

FYI: the last system i overlocking was a Socket A system... circa 2001.

linkin

VIP Member
I personally don't trust ati-tool, so is there anything else? i have heard of programs like 3dmark06 or whatever, what are those?

gamerman4

ATi tool is definitely one of the best for artifact testing even if you don't want to OC with it. I've had ati-tool show artifacts even when games didn't which shows me it can max out a graphics card better than many games. For overclocking:

nVidia: Rivatuner is the most advanced, not very user friendly but it does what it does very well.

ATi: ATiTool is just about the best
I don't know why you don't trust it but a good alternative is ATi Tray Tools http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733

linkin

VIP Member
i mean CPU overclocking. and i mean testing stability, not actually overclocking. sorry if i didnt make that clear before. AtiTool doesn't like my radeon x1650 pro..can't over/underclock without the display not working... it's like the card isnt sending a signal to the monitor, and the monitor goes on standby.

linkin

VIP Member
that is what i wanted. a program to stress the cpu after the overclock. is their a similar program for graphics cards?

gamerman4

that is what i wanted. a program to stress the cpu after the overclock. is their a similar program for graphics cards?

well in order to stress a graphics card, you need something for it to process. ATi Tool still has the best graphics card stress test I have used. You don't need to use the overclocking aspect, just use the tester (the fuzzy cube) it's great.

yhahh

Personally I didn't know that ATI-tool can stress the GPU. I'll test with it if I overclock my hd4870.
I had overclocked my 8600GTS and I tested it with 3dmark06. I think that if the GPU can run 2 or 3 3dmark06 in a row, it is stable.

gamerman4

Personally I didn't know that ATI-tool can stress the GPU. I'll test with it if I overclock my hd4870.
I had overclocked my 8600GTS and I tested it with 3dmark06. I think that if the GPU can run 2 or 3 3dmark06 in a row, it is stable.

The problem with 3dmark is that it loads each scene which lessens the stress on the GPU. So far I haven't seen much that can both stress the GPU and visibly show artifacts as well as atitool. About the only thing I can think of that can heat your GPU up good is rthdribl but seeing artifacts is harder because of the nature of the program.
http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

linkin

VIP Member
I probably wont OC my graphics card, but my processor, yes. 1.8ghz is a bit low for a core 2 duo...i wanna see if i can bump it up to 2.8ghz with stock cooling... well not stock, it's not an intel cooler, but it looks like one.

yhahh

1.8GHz :eek: and I was moaning when my C2D was at 3GHz, I found it too low xD

After changing the cooling, I think you can easily overclock at 2.5-3GHz

linkin

VIP Member
hmm... would stock cooling be enough for 2.4ghz? thats a 600mhz overclock... probably will require voltage bumps too.

EDIT: someone has outbidded me on that zalman cooler i wanted. :(

yhahh

Lol
Yes it should be enough for 2.4GHz. If you're lucky it's possible that you wont be forced to bump the Vcore for a +600MHz overclock.
And bumping the Vcore is not a problem once you stay under 1.4v and 60c in load.

Last edited:

Springy182

hmm... would stock cooling be enough for 2.4ghz? thats a 600mhz overclock... probably will require voltage bumps too.

EDIT: someone has outbidded me on that zalman cooler i wanted. :(

Not necessarily, I OCed my 9550 from 2833MHz to 3400MHz leaving at the stock 1.25V

For CPU stress testing I like wPrime or Orthos, coupled with PCWizard or Coretemp. For GPUs I like RTHDRIBL to stress it, and EVGA Precision (For GeForce) to OC and monitor it, ATiTool tried to OC my 9800GT waaay too far every single time and caused BSODs

Lol
Yes it should be enough for 2.4GHz. If you're lucky it's possible that you wont be forced to bump the Vcore for a +600MHz overclock.
And bumping the Vcore is not a problem once you stay under 1.4v and 60c in load.

1.3625V for 45NM Core chips, more then that you could get electromigration

linkin

VIP Member
looks good, have dloaded along with the others you guys mentioned.
So, if my C2D is clocked @ 2.4ghz, and stays under 60c while under load with no errors, then its good? Should i also test it in games, mainly CSS?

linkin

VIP Member
How smaller/larger increments should i overclock at a time? 50mhz? 100mhz? 150mhz? and what about the vcore, is there a rule of thumb when raising that?