What do you use to test your overlocking?

yhahh

1.3625V for 45NM Core chips, more then that you could get electromigration

Realy?
My current settings for 24/7 use are 1.425v (BIOS, 0.025v Vdrop) and 4GHz (I've got an E8400).
I've ever booted with 1.670v, I just got a "CPU voltage error, F1 to force boot" after the BIOS loading lol. I was trying Superpi 1M at 4.6GHz... failed :(

Springy182

Realy?
My current settings for 24/7 use are 1.425v (BIOS, 0.025v Vdrop) and 4GHz (I've got an E8400).
I've ever booted with 1.670v, I just got a "CPU voltage error, F1 to force boot" after the BIOS loading lol. I was trying Superpi 1M at 4.6GHz... failed :(

Dont you remember SNDS? Going past a certain voltage is bad, I'd personally play it safe and use Intels' spec 1.3625V (or less) rather then gamble on what maximum voltage I can run my processor at before it dies

If I remember correctly the lower the manufacturing process used, the lower the maximum voltage before electromigration occurs

If I might ask, how long have you had your vcore at 1.425V?

yhahh

Dont you remember SNDS? Going past a certain voltage is bad, I'd personally play it safe and use Intels' spec 1.3625V (or less) rather then gamble on what maximum voltage I can run my processor at before it dies

If I remember correctly the lower the manufacturing process used, the lower the maximum voltage before electromigration occurs

If I might ask, how long have you had your vcore at 1.425V?

I think I didn't expect the real risks when I bumped up the Vcore as high. Now, I wont try again. I've hit the extrem limit of my CPU and I'm satisfied.

My Vcore is at 1.425v since the last summer. (and it's still stable)

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
Cool... my build is nearly done. My dad is buying me some ram, and when my processor arrives its all ready to go... with intgrated graphics...:( until i get my GTS 250 :)

yhahh

that's right... so dont do it into your system especially if you dont have any idea what you are going to do...

better read some resources about overclocking and what it is for...

I think it's not realy risked to test on your computer if you ain't sur at 100% of your settings. All "recent" mobo have alarms and securities. It's almost impossible to toast your computer if you don't force any safety.

Read a lot before overclocking, about the FSB, dram ratio, what components can make your system unstable, how to test separately that components, etc...

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
I have done overclocking before... but not since 2002-ish. I actually did my first overclock when i was 7. Parents watching me of course... my dad taught me all about computers. :cool:

Springy182

I think I didn't expect the real risks when I bumped up the Vcore as high. Now, I wont try again. I've hit the extrem limit of my CPU and I'm satisfied.

My Vcore is at 1.425v since the last summer. (and it's still stable)

Ok, so all you've proven is that 1.425V works for a year, do you know how long your chip will last with voltages that high?

linkin

VIP Member
Yeah, technology advances soo fast... its like if you buy a plasma tv on a 5 year repayment plan... in 5 years its almost usesless!!!

gamerman4

Yeah, technology advances soo fast... its like if you buy a plasma tv on a 5 year repayment plan... in 5 years its almost usesless!!!

Not the best analogy since there isn't much in an HDTV (plasma or otherwise) that would get obsolete. As long as it supports HDMI, it should be great for more than 5 years.

linkin

VIP Member
yeah, but you know what i mean. in 5 years time there will be something bigger and better for the same price.

gamerman4

yeah, but you know what i mean. in 5 years time there will be something bigger and better for the same price.

Yep, the place where that's most obvious is definitely the computer market (or cell phones) where products can become old news within just months.