What does this screenshot mean plz?

gibb89

I just brought a new sony laptop and I was told that the speed of it is 1.60ghz but I went on to system properties and it says

1.60ghz then next to it 798 mhz, which one is my cpu speed and what does the other one mean thanks. Screen shot attached.

Attachments

• spd.JPG
    spd.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 216

mgoldb2

VIP Member
SlothX311 said:
the 798 mhz is your FSB, with a little bit to account for overhead :p

Are you sure because am pretty sure the pentium mobile is 133 QDR (533).

I am not sure what that number stand for but my guess is what it acturally running at at the moment. The mobile cpu I belive runs at a lower speed untill you do something that require cpu usage in order to save battery life. This is my thoery.

Geoff

VIP Member
when i go into system propertie on this computer, it says "Pentium 4 @ 3.0Ghz, and below that it said "3010Mhz..." That speed on the bottom is what the cpu is running at when you opened the "system properties" page. When i had my computer overclocked, it said "Pentium 4 @ 3.0Ghz", and below that it said "3450Mhz...". Hope that answers your question.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
the 798 mhz is your FSB
No its not :p
Are you sure because am pretty sure the pentium mobile is 133 QDR (533).
Yes, it is :)
I am not sure what that number stand for but my guess is what it acturally running at at the moment. The mobile cpu I belive runs at a lower speed untill you do something that require cpu usage in order to save battery life. This is my thoery.
Good call, you've got it right :)

In a bit more longwinded fashion, 1.6GHz is the processors spec'd speed, but it clocks down, reduces voltages and runs with the fan off or spinning very slowly until you put a heavy load on it. This is to maximize battery life.

gibb89

mgoldb2 said:
The mobile cpu I belive runs at a lower speed untill you do something that require cpu usage in order to save battery life. This is my thoery.

What is it that I can do to speed up the CPU, except for overclocking (TOO NEW DONT WANA BREAk IT LOL)

Yeti

VIP Member
What is it that I can do to speed up the CPU, except for overclocking (TOO NEW DONT WANA BREAk IT LOL)
You don't need to overclock. When it needs to, it will speed up to the 1.6 GHz that the CPU is rated at.

gibb89

Yeti said:
You don't need to overclock. When it needs to, it will speed up to the 1.6 GHz that the CPU is rated at.
Ok but is their anything I can do that will allow me to speed it up.

By the way could you tell me if my laptop is any good here are the specs.
Sony Vaio
Pentium 4 M 1.60Ghz
512Mb RAM
Intel 915GM
60Gb Harddrive

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
for a laptop it's good. for a desktop replacement...well it's a bit lacking. To speed it up just run a CPU heavy program (ie. pretty much any game, but not the ones that come with windows) and it will clock up to 1.6GHz