What does your surround sound speaker setup look like?

gohorns79

I'm trying to get ideas on how to arrange my 5.1 speaker set. Does anyone have any clever layout ideas? Please include pics if possible.

4W4K3

VIP Member
I have 4.1's and just have them all around my monitor...nowhere else to put them.

My dad has 5.1's and since he has a desk in front of him and behind him, and bookshelves on either side, he can set them up. He put 2 speakers in the front right and left of him. 2 speakers in the back left and right, and the single speaker in the direct front of him. Then he put the massive bass unit directly behind him. It sounds good and gives you a complete 360degree sound experience.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
4W4K3 said:
I have 4.1's and just have them all around my monitor...nowhere else to put them.

My dad has 5.1's and since he has a desk in front of him and behind him, and bookshelves on either side, he can set them up. He put 2 speakers in the front right and left of him. 2 speakers in the back left and right, and the single speaker in the direct front of him. Then he put the massive bass unit directly behind him. It sounds good and gives you a complete 360degree sound experience.

Exactly. ...It all depends on your room. In my room I needed to buy speaker stands for the back speakers.

Try and keep the distances the same. So the left front speaker and the right front speakers are the same distance from you. etc..

Also, try and keep all of the speakers at the same height. If one speaker is 105cm (about 3.5 feet) off the ground, make sure the others are as well.

4W4K3

VIP Member
SFR said:
Exactly. ...It all depends on your room. In my room I needed to buy speaker stands for the back speakers.

lol if i put my speakers behind me on stands no one would be able to open my door. My room is smaller than my gf's mom's bathroom...how sad is that?!?!? I have L shaped desk though, so if i put my monitor in the middle of the angle i could put the speaks on either corner...hmm...i might try that. Right now i have 2 monitors so one is on either side...

SFR

Truth fears no questions
4W4K3 said:
lol if i put my speakers behind me on stands no one would be able to open my door. My room is smaller than my gf's mom's bathroom...how sad is that?!?!? I have L shaped desk though, so if i put my monitor in the middle of the angle i could put the speaks on either corner...hmm...i might try that. Right now i have 2 monitors so one is on either side...

lol

I remember the days when my room was about the size of my current bathroom....

What can you do!?! ...its all part of growing up.. then, you live on your own in a little apartment... and finally you make enough money to build a house with rooms as big as you want.

Just to say on topic so Praetor's mind will not overheat:

It’s best to place the surround sound speakers at a 90 degree angle or behind you. ... If you decide to try placing them at the corners of your desk, tell us how they sound!